Now that it’s officially summer, and the heat is in full action, it’s the perfect time to go to the beach. With the sound of the waves crashing in the background, and a cooler with cold drinks and snacks, the beach is always a great idea! However, what’s not so great is coming back from a swim in the ocean and the sand on your feet starts sticking to your beach blanket. When you lay down to soak up a few rays, there’s sand stuck to your legs and arms. Then sand suddenly appears everywhere! It’s in your bag, your car, and maybe still on your body when you take a shower that night. It seems like an unavoidable part of a day at the beach, but the proper beach blanket can only make it better.
Quick Look at Our Top 5 Picks
The beach can be a great outing for the family, but an incredibly messy one. The last thing you want to deal with when you’re trying to relax, is stressing about how you’re going to clean up all the sand. That’s where a better beach blanket can help you out! Beach towels are best at keeping you dry after you dip in the ocean, but not as beach blankets. Whether you live by the beach, go to the beach every summer, or you’re just like being in the outdoors, investing in a beach blanket can cut down on so much unneeded summer stress! After all, the beach is supposed to be a place to relax, not worry!
What is a Beach Blanket?
This may seem like an odd question, but what is really considered a beach blanket? People use all different kinds of blankets at the beach. Some bring bed sheets, beach towels, tarps, or even tents. The possibilities are endless at the beach. The best beach blankets are those that work well at keeping the sand off the blanket, because that’s the number one hassle at the beach. Usually these blankets are made of more tarp-like material or mesh material because the sand can easily be swiped off or falls through back to the beach.
Beach blankets also usually have a way to secure to the ground in case of a huge gust of wind. You don’t want to be that person at the beach that’s constantly picking up their blanket to shake off the sand, and letting the wind blow it in the faces of everyone around you. Also, something that is comfortable. The family is usually sitting or lying on the beach blanket and no one wants to lay on a stiff piece of fabric. Lastly, sometimes they come with a way to compact them and easily travel with them like a small bag. This makes packing for the beach so much easier!
Qualities of the Best Beach Blankets
Look out for beach blankets that have these qualities:
- Sand proof: Usually blankets that are sand proof has some sort of mesh material that allows the sand to drift through the blanket into the beach. This could also mean the sand doesn’t stick to the blanket, and can easily be wiped off.
- Waterproof/Water resistant: If you like to lay close to the ocean, this is a good quality to look for in a beach blanket. Having a waterproof bottom layer will ensure that even if you set up your belongings in wet sand, you won’t have a wet bathing suit until you go in the ocean.
- Compactable: It’s always a plus when a blanket comes with its own carrying bag! Beach blankets that can be folded up to small sizes and stored away in their own bag is incredibly convenient when there usually aren’t a lot of close parking spaces to the beach.
- Securable: The best beach blankets come with some type of quality to keep them secured to the beach. Whether this is sand pockets, or stakes, these keep your blanket spread out on the uneven sand surface.
- Lightweight: Sure enough, if your beach blanket is compactable into a small bag then it’s probably lightweight. Buying a lightweight blanket is much more ideal for beach than lugging around a heavy blanket that isn’t breathable. Plus, no one wants to carry around a heavy blanket on a hot summer day!
- Thin: This may not be everyone’s preference, but lightweight and compactable blankets tend to also be thin. A thinner blanket does not mean it’s less durable, but thinner fabrics may be better suited for a blanket that will be in the sun a lot. Also, this can help with the breathability of the blanket. No one wants to lay on a thick and heavy blanket at the beach!
WELLAX Sandfree Beach Blanket
This XL family size beach blanket, has all the gadgets to give you and your family the perfect day at the beach without the hassle of laying on a sandy towel. It can fit 12 adults sitting or 7 adults laying with some room for your beach bags. The blanket itself is a 9 by 10 foot lightweight blanket made of parachute nylon. This makes the blanket extremely lightweight but also incredibly durable, and the sand falls right through the blanket. Allowing you to be sand free while soaking up the rays. This also includes 5 sand pouches in order to keep your blanket on the beach during a windy day, compression straps, a carrying pouch, stuff sack bag, and a WELLAX Sandfree Beach Blanket bottle opener.
- Does not hold sand
- Lightweight & breathable material
- Large blanket
- Can be used for many purposes: picnic blanket, ground cover, roof shade cover, etc
- Blanket can snag on attached bottle opener
WildHorn Outfitters Sand Escape Beach Blanket
This must-have beach blanket measures 9 by 7 feet, making it a great size to fit the entire family for a fun filled day at the beach. This Sand Escape Beach Blanket comes in a bag with compression straps, compacting it into a tiny carrier so lugging your beach belongings won’t be as much of a hassle. This beach blanket is made of lightweight and tear resistant nylon fabric and has 4 sand pockets to anchor the blanket to the beach. The nylon material of the blanket allows sand to drift through the blanket, instead of sticking to the top like most blankets. This beach blanket is available in 4 different colors to match your beach aesthetic.
- Compact & lightweight
- Covers a large area
- Sand does not stick to blanket
- Can used for many other purposes
- Easily fits family of 4
- Gets we easily
- Material can get hot from sand & sun
Kahuna Parachute Beach Blanket
This beach blanket is sure to fit the whole family, and keep the sand on the beach where it belongs. This parachute blanket packs into a small pouch, that can clip onto a backpack or your beach bag for easy carrying. It’s made with sand pockets to keep the blanket down on a windy day, and also comes with ground stakes that you can use to anchor the blanket down. There is a built-in zippered pocket to keep personal items that also conveniently keeps your items out of sight in public areas. It measures 8 by 8 feet, making this blanket definitely large enough for a 4-person family, and it’s available in 4 different colors!
- Large size
- Compacts into bag
- Very lightweight
- Keeps sand off blanket
- Dries quickly
- Stakes are not very long
- Very lightweight so no padding if you’re on a bump surface
Peshtemal Light Weight Beach Blanket
Looking for a beach blanket that still has the soft feeling of a towel? This blanket is 100% cotton peshtemal. Peshtemal is a type of cotton that is usually found in Turkish towels, having extra-long fibers which makes them softer and much more luxurious. This blanket measures 63 by 86 inches, making it a great size for a beach blanket, picnic blanket, or as a tablecloth. This material makes it extremely lightweight, quick drying, and eco-friendly. Because these blankets are so lightweight, they are easily compactable, giving you more room in your beach bag. Wanting a larger blanket? This beach blanket has buttons that makes it connectable! It’s also available in 10 different color options, allowing you to find your favorite beach blanket look!
- Extremely lightweight
- Becomes softer with each wash
- Versatile – can be used as a bed blanket & many other purposes
- Very well-made
- Will not keep sand off
- Can snag easily
Laguna Summer Outdoor Blanket
This blanket is made for the outdoors! With durability in mind, this blanket was made for outings like picnics, a day on the beach, or camping in the wilderness. To withstand the elements, this blanket is made with a waterproof bottom layer, making it great for keeping sand from sticking on your blanket. Unlike many other blankets, this one could handle wet sand without making the whole blanket absorb the moisture. It has a fleece top layer, available in 2 different colors. It comes with a case to keep your blanket in with a backpack strap, and a pocket for all of your personal belongings. Measuring 72 by 57 inches, this beach blanket can easily fit 2 adults.
- Machine washable
- Soft & fuzzy
- Sand does not stick to bottom
- Stylish patterns
- Not very large for family blanket
Roebury Sandproof Beach Mat
Looking for a water resistant blanket? This is the one! This 100% polyester blanket is sure to keep the moisture away, like wet sand or grass. This durable blanket will ensure that the stand stays on the beach with its durable and water resistant backing. It also has padding to make your experience a little more comfy when laying on outdoor surfaces like uneven sand or dirt. This beach blanket is measured 55 by 70 inches, making it suitable for 2 people to lay on. It comes with a zippered tote that the blanket compacts into, making traveling with this blanket lightweight and stress free! This beach blanket not only has a waterproof coating, but it’s also BPA-free and due to its smooth inner lining, can easily be wiped down from outdoor festivities.
- Water resistant
- Available in 3 colors/patterns
- Versatile – can be used as a pillow or stadium seat cushion
- Machine washable
- Compacts into zippered tote
- Great customer service
- Some think it’s hard to zipper into tote
- Higher priced blanket for material
CampMe Premium Outdoor Beach Blanket
Love to go to the beach, but hate the feeling of the sand sticking to you and your blanket? This CampMe beach blanket is sand proof! It has an inner and outer square, with the outer square made of a mesh material in order to let the sand stay off the rest of the blanket. This blanket is also waterproof, so you don’t have to worry if you’re blanket is put on wet sand and or kids run on the blanket after jumping in the ocean. It’s extremely lightweight, weighing under 2 pounds, and it compacts into a small carrying bag to make traveling easier. This beach blanket comes also comes with 4 metal stakes so you’re blanket stays on the beach even during those windy summer days.
- Repels water
- Allows sand escape back to beach
- Extremely lightweight
- Does not get hot in the sun
- Comes with 4 stakes
- Material easily wipes clean
- Only available in 1 color
Benevolence LA Mexican Blanket Sand Blanket
Looking to give a beach blanket as a gift? This blanket is not only great for the beach but also for a great cause. When you buy a Benvolence blanket, you are giving back to a community. These blankets provide clean water for villages in Africa, and the mission of this company is to spread generosity. This chi blanket is perfect for the beach! It measures 65 by 40 inches, and is made of 100% acrylic. Unlike of Mexican blankets, these are not itchy and get softer with each wash! Not only are these great beach blankets with their vibrant designs and durability. Plus, this is a great gift for anyone who’s always outdoors! They are available in 5 different vibrant colors.
- Great gift
- Machine washable
- Comfortable texture
- Versatile – can be used as blanket, yoga mat, or other outdoor activities
- Becomes softer with each wash
- Some believe not as soft as advertised
- Smaller than other beach blankets
El Paso Designs Mexican Beach Blanket
If you’re looking for a cheap blanket with a stylish design, you’ve found the one. This Mexican Falsa blanket brings a taste of Mexico to the beach side! This blanket measures 47 by 68 inches, making it a spacious personal beach blanket. It’s made of a mix of acrylic and cotton recycled fibers, making this beach blanket eco-friendly. They’re also incredibly durable, as they’re handwoven and imported from Mexico. It doesn’t get more authentic than that. Available in 24 different colors, you’re sure to find the blanket that best fits your beach aesthetic. Although it does not come with the product, there is a blanket carry strap available for purchase.
- Handwoven from Mexico
- Versatile – can be used for yoga, camping, picnicking, or home décor
- Made out of recycle fibers
- Available in many different colors
- Machine washable
- Very soft
- Shed lots of fuzz
- Colors may not be completely true to picture
A Few Other Qualities to Consider
Here are just a few other tips and tricks for your beach blanket buy.
- Find a blanket that’s washable. Just in case little George spills ketchup and stains the beach blanket, you know you can throw it in the washing machine and it will look brand new. Plus, an outdoor blanket should always be washable.
- Find a blanket that’s versatile. Beach blankets have a lot of qualities that you may be looking for in other outdoor blankets. Save the money, and make sure your blanket can be used for other outdoor activities like camping or picnics.
- Find a large blanket. Even if you don’t plan on going to beach with the whole family, it usually smart to invest in the larger blankets. This way, you have the option to hold more people and you can reserve a larger spot on the beach!
- Find a blanket with a personal belongings pockets. While this may not be completely necessary, it’s definitely incredibly convenient. These pockets are great places to put your keys, wallet, and phone if you don’t like lugging around a large beach bag.
Arriving to the beach with a suitable beach blanket is a necessity, and it’s not a large investment. Most beach blankets are under $30, meaning after a family of 4, it’s probably the same amount of money it costs you to get into the beach. Preparing yourself for a fun day outside will only let the fun continue even when you have to pack up to go home. No more trails of sand in your car with a sand proof beach blanket! Plus, many of these beach blankets can also be used for other outdoor activities such as camping, picnics, seat cushions, yoga, and much more. And, most come in stylish patterns/colors so you can find your spot in the mist of others at the beach.