Climbing into bed at night and letting the feeling of soft sheets touch your skin as you bundle up for a restful night’s sleep is the definition of pure relaxation. You’ve had a long day, and you deserve to slip into a bed that feels like you’re falling asleep in the clouds. It’s your “me” time. Your bed, and all that comes with it, creates the environment for your night of sleep.
Knowing the best bed sheets for you, can greatly improve your sleep! Whether it’s regulating temperature, hypoallergenic, material preference, or budget friendly, there are sheets out there that will fit your needs.
What’s there to know about sheets?
When it comes to sheet sets, there is an endless amount of options ranging from thread count, type of fabric, weave choice, and price range. Even if you want the best of the best, it’s hard to look past the hefty price tag that comes with it. We’ll discover whether it’s really necessarily to pay a lot of money for the best bed sheets for your bed.
First, let’s take a look at all the different features to choose from when buying your next bed sheets.
Does thread count matter?
I’m sure you’ve seen the ads for sheets with high thread counts, claiming that best quality is relative to the higher thread count. While thread count does matter, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the highest thread count is always the best.
Thread count is the amount of horizontal and vertical threads per square inch. For a general rule of thumb, good thread counts are anywhere from 200-800. Unless the sheet is made of good quality fabric or weave, you shouldn’t even be paying extra for thread counts over 400.
Thread count also isn’t directly relative to quality. Just because a sheet may have a 200-thread count, doesn’t mean it’s extremely poor quality. The way the sheet is finished, as well as it’s weave, can still make an extremely soft sheet with a small thread count.
Different Kinds of Weaves
Each sheet has a different kind of weave, but this doesn’t mean it’s necessary to know this in order to find the best bed sheet. Keep these weaves in mind, so you can make a more educated bed sheet choice.
- Percale weave: This weave creates sheets that have more of a cool and crisp feeling. They have the same amount of threads horizontally and vertically, which makes them more durable and strong through hot washes over time. These sheets are typically great with a thread count between 200 and 400, but if you’re looking for more of a heavyweight sheet than shoot for 400 to 600.
- Sateen weave: These sheets are more delicate than the percale sheets, but if you’re looking for more of silky feeling than these are for you. They have more thread going vertically than horizontally, which makes them more likely to come apart during the wash. To find the happy medium between softness and strength, look for a thread count between 300 and 600.
Which Fabric Do You Want?
Just like clothes, sheets can come in many different kinds of fabrics. While cotton is still the beloved choice of sheets, there are others that can decrease the price of the bed sheets and give you different kinds of benefits.
- Cotton: Some of the best cottons are Pima, Egyptian, and Supima. They’re made of long-fiber cotton weaves that create extreme softness.
- Flannel: You may associate these sheets with long winter nights, and that’s because it’s made combed cotton with fluffed up fibers, creating a nap that traps in body heat. Fun fact: the quality of flannel isn’t measured by its thread count but by its ounces per square yard.
- Silk: If you’re looking for luxury, then you can’t go wrong with silk. This luxurious fiber keeps you especially cool at night, but definitely has the cost of luxury. These sheets are expensive and delicate, but will bring a cool and romantic feel to the bedroom.
- Polyester: This fabric is man-made, which means it’s cheaper on your wallet. Usually you find polyester blended with another fabric like cotton, so it doesn’t feel as stiff and scratchy. When finely woven, polyester can be sold as microfiber and although it may not be the softest sheet, it resists stains and is very durable.
- Bamboo: Sheets that are labeled as bamboo, are typically made out of rayon. Sheets actually made out of bamboo are usually very rough, and the process to make them involves a lot of chemicals that are not great for the environment.
Best Bed Sheets: Our Picks
View On Amazon
These brushed microfiber sheets are rated the #1 best seller on Amazon. Looking for cheap, and good quality? You’ve found them. Since they are made out of microfiber, these sheets are stain resistant and hypoallergenic. If you like the feeling of crisp and stiff sheets, than these are not the sheets for you. These soft, smooth, and silky feeling sheets come in a 4-piece set containing: 2 pillow cases, a flat sheet, and a fitted sheet. These sheets are on the thinner side, so they take less room in the closet and can easily air dry.
These Mellanni Bed Sheets are fade, stain, shrink, and wrinkle resistant. Completely made of polyester, these sheets are great for those that want soft sheets while on a budget. In fact, if you’re not completely satisfied with your sheets, Mellanni has a life time guarantee and will give you 100% of your money back if you’re not satisfied.
- Soft & silky
- Color doesn’t fade
- Lifetime guarantee
- Well-made pillow cases
- Does show oil stains
- Can sleep hot
- Very thin sheets
View On Amazon
These sheets are relaxing blend of cotton and polyester. With a thread count of 600, the polyester blend keeps these sheets on the cheaper side, while also offering the comfort of a cotton sheet. The cotton also keeps the sheets breathable, while the polyester keeps out wrinkles and fading. With a unique weave pattern, there is a design on each side of the sheet, keeping the cotton on the top for the softest feel. Included is a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and 1 pillow case.
These sheets are also deep pocket, so they comfortably stay on mattresses that may not fit to sheets well like a split king. While they are machine washable and dryer safe, it is recommended that you wash them on cold and to dry them on a low setting. The Linenspa Ultra Soft sheets are great for those not wanting to spend a lot on their sheets, but still looking for soft blend.
- Deep enough pocket
- Stretch enough to stay on mattress
- Doesn’t wrinkle
- Colors are not exactly as described (sand color is greener)
- Can be a bit scratchy
View On Amazon
This is 100% cotton bed sheet set is a little more on the pricey end, but if you’re looking top quality sheets, then these are for you. Not only are these 100% cotton sheets, but they also have a thread count of 1000. It includes a flat sheet with a 4-inch hem, a fitted sheet with elastic to fit up to a 16-inch-deep mattress, and 2 pillow cases. The hem on the sheets is a garment finishing technique that involves folding the edge of the fabric and sewing it, in order to prevent the fabric from unraveling.
This sheet set contains a sateen weave, leaving the sheets with a satin feel and the look of luxury. All fabric used is 100% eco-friendly and chemical free, ensuring that it is natural yarn and made with safe processes. Not only will you be able to feel the luxury of these sheets when you climb into bed, but they will keep you cool until you wake up in the morning!
- 100% Egyptian cotton
- Very cool
- Come in many different colors
- Sheets relax after wash
- Some believe they are not 1000 thread count
View On Amazon
These Peru Pima bed sheets are made out of 100% Peruvian Pima Cotton. The quality is unquestionable, as these sheets are actually imported from Peru. Made with a percale weave, these sheets are for those of you that love a crisp and cool sheet. These sheets are, in fact, used for luxury as they are used by top hotels such as Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, and more. A set comes with a flat sheet, a fitted sheet, and 2 pillow cases. Just like the Thread Spread Egyptian Cotton sheets, these sheets are made with a 4-inch hem constructed with a percale weave, to increase durability.
The fitted sheet has a 14-inch-deep pocket, and is fully elasticized. It is recommended to machine wash on cold water using mild detergent while also on a gentle cycle, and to tumble dry on a low setting. These sheets are more expensive, but it’s clear that you’re getting the top quality of cotton.
- Quality Pima Peruvian Cotton
- Great workmanship
- Not too thin nor too heavy
- Last for years
- Get softer with each wash
- Sleep cool
- Cheap elastic on fitted sheet
- May be too scratchy for some
View On Amazon
These soft microfiber sheets are lightweight, and don’t completely break the bank. They come as a 6-piece bed set including 4 pillow cases, a flat sheet, and a fitted sheet fitting up to 16 inches deep. These CGK Unlimited sheets are great for those that are not necessarily looking for luxury sheets or a specific fabric but want to sleep comfy at night. It is recommended that these sheets are washed on cold and dried on low heat.
These sheets are thin, but they do retain some warmth which may not be favorable to those that sleep hot. They are also smooth, but not slippery like a satin sheet. These sheets are hypoallergenic, stain resistant, wrinkle free, and easy to clean. Plus, they fit all types of mattress sizes!
- Very soft
- Great price
- Include 4 pillow cases, instead of just 2
- Do not have beads or pills
- Fit larger mattresses
- Great customer service
- Some have problems with elastic staying on fitted sheet
- May be too warm for some
View On Amazon
Similar to the CGK Unlimited sheets, these are also lightweight microfiber sheets that are even more affordable. While these sheets are made out of microfiber, they are double brushed on both sides to create comfort and softness needed for a great night’s sleep. This set comes with 4 pieces: 2 pillow cases, a flat sheet, and a fitted sheet that’s deep pocketed for mattresses 14 to 18 inches. It’s recommended to hand wash or machine wash in cool water, in opposition to the online description, with mild detergent. After receiving the actual product, the description confirms to wash on cold.
The sheets can be left to air dry, as microfiber dries quickly, or on low heat. Although the Nestl Bedding sheets are for a smaller budget, they are not thin sheets. The elastic is heavy duty and has worked great with adjustable beds. In addition, there are many different colors to pick from and it has a 100% satisfaction guaranteed!
- Great thickness
- Very inexpensive
- Incredibly soft
- Cool and breathable
- Easily fit larger mattresses
- Fabric can pill
- Colors may not match the pictures
View On Amazon
These cotton sheets are hotel quality on a budget. Made of 100% cotton with sateen weave, these crisp sheets are ones you’d expect when you stay on a vacation getaway. The yarns are made of 100% long staple cotton fiber producing the quality of these sheets, and the 400 thread count keeps the price down. This is a 4-piece set coming with 2 pillow cases with hem styling to increase durability, a flat sheet with hems as well, and a fitted sheet.
This company has tested their product through harmful substances checks, as well as performance tests that make sure there isn’t piling, shrinkage, color fastness, and more. These sheets are made of shrink resistant fabric, fade resistant dyes, and each sheet set is individually tailored. California Design even gives a 100% satisfaction guarantee when placing an order.
- Very little wrinkling
- Wash great
- Seams are properly sewn
- Stay cool all night long
- Good weight
- Very soft
- Pillow cases are slightly smaller than regular ones
- Colors may not be consistent
- Some have trouble with the quality of elastic on fitted sheet
View On Amazon
These Brielle Cotton Jersey sheets feel just like your softest t-shirt. This 100% cotton bed sheet is the bed sheet for you if you’re looking for soft sheets that are easy to take care of. These sheets are jersey knitted, meaning they use single-ply yarns, which makes the fabric extremely stretchy and lightweight. Because it’s made out of cotton It’s moisture wicked and breathable. These sheets are perfect for a dorm room, a kid’s room, or anyone looking for comfort without the luxury look and price tag. This Brielle cotton set comes with 4 pieces: 2 pillow cases, a flat sheet, and a fitted sheet that fits up to a 15-inch mattress. There is also a 4-inch hem on the flat sheet and pillow cases to increase durability. It’s recommended to wash these on machine wash cold with a gentle cycle, and tumble dry low. If you do have a thicker mattress, you may want to size up to ensure there’s enough fabric to cover it.
- Extremely comfy
- No pilling
- 100% cotton
- Great colors
- Don’t bunch up from movement
- Great price
- Do not shrink
- Inconsistent sizing
- Sheets are thin
View On Amazon
These Hotel Sheets Direct sheets are 100% rayon derived from bamboo to give a very soft and light feeling sheet. They’re made from certified bamboo fibers, made from the highest grade out of 6 grades. If you tend to sleep hot at night, and like the feeling of cool and silk sheets, then these are perfect for you! Made of rayon, these sheets are eco-friendly hypoallergenic, and thermoregulating. They come in a pack of 4: 2 pillow cases, a flat sheet, and a fitted sheet that fits mattresses up to 16 inches.
These sheets are a great alternative for someone who enjoys the feeling of silky sheets, but does not have the budget for them. It is recommended to wash them on machine wash cool and tumble dry on low for best results as well as to prevent wrinkles. This bamboo bed sheet set would also be great for someone that tends to sleep very hot at night! However, if you’re not completely satisfied with these sheets, you can return them for a full refund within 90 days.
- Extremely cool
- Silky feeling
- Become softer after wash
- Pillow cases have a fold to keep pillows in
- Very comfortable
- Few color options
- Tend to wrinkle
View On Amazon
This flannel sheet set is 100% cotton, and made durably. Like most sheet sets it comes with 2 pillow cases, a fitted sheet, and a flat sheet. This Pinzon set is the heavyweight velvet flannel, giving the sheets weight and a double-napped finish on each side for a velvety feel. They are made with a 4-inch hem on the flat sheet and pillow cases to keep seams durable. While they may be more expensive than other sheets listed, these are made of 10% combed cotton which means the fibers are lined up straight, producing stronger yarn.
The combing process removes uneven fibers that could make the yarn less durable and more rough. With each wash, these sheets get softer and they do not have the issue of shocking you like some sheets. There is a potential of shrinkage, so you may want to machine wash on cold, and tumble dry low.
- 100% cotton
- Heavyweight sheets
- Do not shock
- Deep cornered sheets
- Keep warm during winter
- Great price for the quality
- Some have issue with pilling
- Produce a lot of lint at first
- Can shrink and affect sizing
Best Bed Sheets by Category
Best Priced Bed Sheets: Mellanni Bed Sheet Set is the best bang for your buck if you still want a high-quality sheet, but don’t have the budget for it. These polyester sheets are hypoallergenic and come in a bunch of different colors and sizes!
Best Cotton Bed Sheets: Thread Spread True Luxury Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set is a premium cotton sheet set. Not only are these sheets made from 100% Egyptian cotton, but they have a thread count of 1000! These sheets are cool to sleep, and get even softer with each wash.
Best Silky Bed Sheets: Some prefer the soft feeling of a sheet, and other prefer silky smooth feeling of the Hotel Sheets Direct bamboo set. These rayon sheets bring silky to a new level without the hefty price tag.
Best Quality Bed Sheets: Most sheets cannot compare to the Peru Pima Percale Bed Sheets that are imported from Peru. These sheets are 100% Peruvian Pima Cotton, providing a cool and crisp hotel quality sheet. They’re even used in hotels!
Best Dorm Bed Sheets: The Brielle Cotton Jersey Knit Sheets are great for college students’ budgets as well as a sheet that will withstand food stains. This sheet is cheap, durable, and for those that want comfort over the look of luxury.
What’s the Best Bed Sheets for Your Lifestyle?
Whether you’ve had a bad experience with bed sheets in the past, or you’re just looking for the perfect set for your mattress, buying bed sheets can be quite the hassle. After all, we spend a third of our lives in our beds!
Bed sheets are just as important as your mattress and your pillows to having a restful sleep. After you’ve spend hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on a mattress, you want to be topping it with a bed sheet that only enhances the large investment you’ve already made.
Let’s take a look at a couple of features you may want to consider when looking for the best bed sheets.
- Price: How much are you willing to spend on bed sheets? Bed sheets can range from less than $20 a set to well over $100. However, this doesn’t mean you’re compromising quality just because you don’t have a bigger budget. There are many different options within each budget. What’s the highest amount you’re willing to spend on sheets?
- Material: Are you looking for a specific kind of material? The most popular material used for bed sheets is cotton due to its versatility. There’s jersey knit cotton, Egyptian cotton, pima cotton, flannel, and more. All of these cottons range in quality, price, and texture. There are microfiber sheets like polyester that are great for those that need hypoallergenic sheets or have a cheaper budget. Bamboo, or rayon sheets are great for hot sleepers that like a silky feeling sheet.
- Temperature: Are you a hot sleeper? Is your mattress already causing you to overheat at night? Or, do you prefer a cozy bed with more weight on you? Are you buying sheets for a particular season or year-round? Many sheets have incorporated cooling and breathable properties into them such as premium cotton like Egyptian and pima, as well as more inexpensive microfiber sheets and rayon sheets. Go to winter sheets are always flannel sheets, as well as any other heavyweight sheet.
- Use: Now it’s easy to say that sheets are meant for sleeping, but if we’re being honest, sometimes you end up watching a movie in your bed and want some popcorn while you enjoy the show. How often are you in your bed? Do you eat in your bed? Do you own pets that go into your bed a lot? The use of your bed goes hand in hand with the type of sheet you should be looking for. Certain cottons and microfibers are more durable than others, and may be more stain resistant as well.
- Look: While bed sheets are largely based on feeling, that doesn’t mean look has nothing to do with the bed sheets you choose. Do you want the luxury look of silk sheets? Are you looking for a specific color of sheets? Or, does the look of your sheets not matter?
At the end of the day, the best bed sheets for you, may not be the best bed sheets for your friend. Just like a mattress, bed sheets are heavily up to preference. Some may enjoy a heavyweight and cozier bed sheet, while others may prefer a silky one that keeps them cooler at night. Some may prefer a crisp and clean feeling sheet, while others like the jersey knit t-shirt softness.
It’s important to keep in mind that even though some bed sheets are considered more luxurious than others, you can most likely find a best sheet you’re looking for in your price range. A bed sheet is an important accessory to your bed, so don’t settle on one that doesn’t give you the best night’s sleep. Finding the best bed sheet for you is finding the best night’s sleep. Happy sleeping!