If you are a parent, then you want to give your children the best you possibly can. As parents, you work hard to provide them with the opportunity for a great future. You spend your hard earned money on things that will improve their lives and you want to make sure that you are spending your money the wisest way possible. You do your research making sure what you are buying them, feeding them, or giving to them is safe and the best quality. The bed that you buy them is certainly no exception.
Quick Look at Our Top 5 Picks
You’ll want to do your homework and make sure that you are providing to your children a bed that will help give them a great night’s sleep. There are some really great options out there, that combine practicality and fun as well as safety, comfort, and durability, that your child will love for years to come.
Editor’s Choice for Best Children’s Beds
Donco Kids Low Study Loft Bed
Our top choice is the Low Study Loft Bed from Donco Kids due to its compact design, practicality, all-inclusive design, and quality build.
- Includes bed, desk, dresser, bookshelf and storage bin all in one
- Solid wood build
- A large amount of available storage
- Compact design
- Great value for your money
What factors should you consider before purchasing?
- Practicality vs. Fun: Children’s beds come in a large variety of designs, from ones designed as race cars or your child’s favorite cartoon character to simple basic wooden or metal frames. Ideally, the best options are ones that fall somewhere in the middle of this spectrum. Of course, you want a bed frame your child will love and be excited about, but also not one that he will outgrow in just a few short years. You want to make sure the model makes sense for your kid at his or her’s current age, but also will it still make sense for them in a few years.
- Durability: Kids love to play on their beds, and of course, this includes jumping up and down on it. Even though children are small, they do put a lot of wear and tear on their beds, so you want to make sure you buy them a bed frame that will hold up for the long run. Spend your money on a quality frame that can withstand even the most active of play times.
- Could you use some extra space? Of course, the answer will be different for every parent. Usually, children’s rooms are on the smaller size, but also tend to be filled with their bed, toys, dressers, desks, and shelves. Not to mention that it usually the primary play area for them. Between all of these, it can get really crowded, really quick. Any bed that helps combine some of these, be it extra storage, additional play areas or even something like a desk or dresser, could really help open the room up.
- Safety: I’m sure all your parents don’t need to be reminded of this, but it’s good to mention safety anyways. As parents, your child’s safety and well being is always a top priority. You want to make sure the bed that you buy them is also appropriate for their age and size. If your child is really young, some options might not work, if your child is older, some beds might not still hold up under their weight. Also, if you are considering options such as lofts or bunk beds, make sure they offer enough protection on the top to keep your child from rolling off of the side.
Top 5 Children’s Bed Options for You
Donco Kids Low Study Loft Bed
If you are looking to save any space or find that sweet spot between practical and fun, then The Donco Kids Low Study Loft Bed is the perfect option for you. On the surface, the price may look a bit high for a children’s bed, but consider that you are not only getting a bed, but also a dresser, desk, bookshelf, and storage area all in one fantastic product! Your child will love this bed and it will also save you tons of space as well!
This bed features a sturdy solid wood frame, so it’s built to last. You also won’t have to worry about your child falling off in the middle of the night because the safety rail offers plenty of protection.
- Includes bed, desk, dresser, bookshelf, and storage are all in one piece of furniture
- A large amount of storage
- Compact design
- Ladder is easy to climb
- Features safety railing
- Sturdy build
- Wood is soft and can get dinged up during construction
- An expensive option if you are just looking for a bed frame
DHP Canopy Bed with Sturdy Bed Frame
There is a reason that the DHP Canopy Bed is one of the top sellers out there. It combines simplicity and elegance to create a bed frame that your daughter will absolutely love! On the surface this is a sturdy metal frame with a heart scroll design, but also, this bed’s six foot poles are perfect for customization. Add sheer curtains and lights to make your daughter feel like the princess of her bedroom!
Available in four colors and at a great price, this a great option that combines practicality and fun. It is built from sturdy metal and includes metal slats, so there is no need for a box spring. It is easy to assemble and the finish is durable and will not scratch easy.
The DHP Canopy Bed is truly a great option, and really one of the only factors keeping it from being our top option is that it is really more of a girls bed than boys.
- Solid metal frame
- Great price
- Easy assemble
- Available in pink, gold, pewter and white
- 6 foot poles are perfect for adding curtains and lights
- More of a girl’s style of bed than for both girls and boys
Novogratz Maxwell Twin/Full Metal Bunk Bed
If you are parents to multiple kids, you probably already know that bunk beds could be your best friends. They are the perfect space saving option for siblings who are sharing the same bed room. The Novogratz Maxwell Metal Bunk Bed is a sturdy, stable, and great looking option that is available in grey, navy or pink. This bunk bed fits a full size mattress on the bottom level and a twin sized on the top, but it is also available in a twin and twin option.
The metal frame features a metal safety guardrail on the top bunk to keep your children from falling off. Also, this frame has metal slats that allow you to use a mattress without a box spring. The metal is silent, so that means one sibling moving around, will not wake up the other. Another great feature of this bed is that the ladder is attached to the bottom bunk, not just the top, to give it extra stability.
- A full metal frame that gives support and stability
- Available in grey, blue and pink
- Supports a full-size mattress on the bottom and a twin on the top
- Metal guardrail on the top bunk
- Does not require a box spring
- Round ladder rungs are not as easy to use as flat ones
DHP Junior Loft Bed Frame
Another great option available to those looking to save some space is a loft bed. They sit up off the ground a few feet and free up space underneath for storage or more room to play. The Junior Loft Bed from DHP is one of the best options around. It sits at a slightly lower height than traditional loft beds, making it perfect for younger children. It is priced at a great value and is available in five awesome colors that your child will be certain to love.
This loft bed’s solid metal frame is durable and solid, offering a weight limit up to 200 lbs. It offers a safety rail to protect your child and is compatible with all twin mattress types.
- Frees up plenty of extra space below it for additional storage or room to play
- Great Value
- Available in five color options
- Lower height is perfect for children
- 200 lb weight limit
- Safety rail to protect children from falling off
- Easy to assemble
- Safety rail makes it difficult to make up the bed
- The sticker that comes on the bed frame is difficult to remove
- Round ladder rungs can be painful for adults
Merax Twin Size Platform Bed with Six Drawers
At first glance this bed may not scream “children’s bed”, but rather it screams things like “practical” and “timeless”. One of the things that makes this bed a great option for children is that you won’t have to buy them a new one as they get older. It is a stylish and sturdy bed that your child will be able to enjoy for years to come. It is a bed that they will not be out growing as they get older.
This is a great option also for smaller bedrooms, as it offers six drawers for storage. These are perfect for storing clothes, linens, toys, and books. These drawers can also be moved to either side of the bed, making this bed compatible with almost any bedroom layout.
Another feature that makes this bed great for children’s rooms, is that the frame extends down to the floor. How many times have your children lost things in the mess that can grow under their beds? This eliminates that problem, while still taking advantage of that optimal storage space!
- Six storage drawers
- Drawers can be moved to either side of the bed frame
- Easy to assemble
- Great value
- Frame extends all the way to the floor
- Drawers are not particularly deep
As we all know, getting a great night’s sleep is a vital part of the growing process. Not only does it help to keep you healthy and growing strong but also gives you a great start to the day ahead of you. These are things that are so important for children and we want to give them every possible advantage that we can in their lives. You know your children the best, so you are of course the best qualified to choose the best bed option for them. These are our top choices on the market, but make sure you choose an option that fits best to your unique child.