Folding beds make great options for a spare guest bed, traveling, camping, or any temporary sleeping solutions. Often though, we don’t find ourselves putting too much thought into them until we find ourselves trying to fall asleep on a very uncomfortable one.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
With some great options available nowadays, now is a perfect time to upgrade to a more comfortable, supportive, and convenient model. There is no need to suffer through another night on an uncomfortable folding bed again!
Editor’s Choice for Best Folding Beds
Milliard Diplomat Folding Bed
Our top choice is Milliard Diplomat Folding Bed due to its comfortable foam mattress, convenient dual usage, and unique frame design.
- Designed to be used as a 16 inch high bed, while stored
- Frame design that doesn’t use springs to support the mattress
- Sturdy frame
- Comfortable medium-firm foam mattress
What factors should you consider before purchasing?
- Comfort: It should be assumed that a folding bed will not be as comfortable as a regular bed. Although that is the case, it does not mean there are not comfortable options out there. Don’t buy one that lacks for comfort, there is no need for that. Even if you are using it as a guest bed, then buy one that you would want to sleep on yourself.
- What will you use it for? This is a key factor in determining which type is best for you to buy. Are you buying this bed to use as a guest bed? Or are you thinking about using it for travel or maybe even camping? There are some models that are heavier and bulkier, that you would not want to drag along to a campsite. Some of the lighter, more compact models would not be the best to offer your guests for the night. Think about how you will be using this bed before you determine which type is best for you.
- Which type is best for you? This factors in right with the previous point. What you will be using it for will help you determine which type is best for you. The two main types that you will come across, are ones that use normal mattresses and ones that use air mattresses. Of course, you will see different types that use either mattress, but generally, those are the two biggest differences. The type that uses normal mattresses is generally best suited for home use. These options make great guest beds or temporary sleeping solutions but are generally bulkier and heavier, so you probably wouldn’t want to use them for travel. On the other hand, air mattress folding beds make great options for things such as travel and camping.
- Will it last? Like most things that we buy, you will want your folding bed to last over time. If you are using it as a guest bed, nobody wants to have to sleep on a bed that feels like it is falling apart. If you are using it outside of your home, then that will put more wear and tear on the frame. Buy one that is made from durable materials that will last more than one or two uses.
- Lightweight: Folding beds, buy very definition, are meant to be folded up and packed away when you are not using them. Because they do not have wheels, you will then be carrying them, at least at some time. Whether you are taking it on a camping trip, or just to the closet, you will want your folding bed to be as lightweight as possible. The heavier that it is, the more you will dread having to take it out and use it.
Top 5 Folding Bed Options for You:
Milliard Diplomat Folding Bed
Milliards’s folding bed is the very definition of practicality and convenience. Unlike most folding beds that can take up a large amount of room in storage, this bed is designed to be used while being stored! When it is not being used as a bed, it simply folds up into a comfortable, 16 inch high bed. When its bed time, just remove the grey suede cover and it unfolds into a comfortable bed. No additional assembly needed!
The bed comes with a medium-firm foam mattress, that includes washable covers on each section. Unlike many other sectional mattresses, these cushions will not separate while you sleep. Thus keeping the sleeper comfortable and supported throughout the night.
The sturdy metal frame features a wire-latticed support platform. This helps keep your back secure and will eliminate that “sinking feeling” that often comes with spring base beds.
- Comfortable foam mattress
- Unique “wire-lattice” support system
- Folds up into a comfortable bed
- Cushions do not separate while you are sleeping on them
- No assembly required
- Not as wide as some other options
- No color options
Zinus Traveler Elite Folding Guest Bed
The Zinus Traveler Elite folding bed is a comfortable, lightweight and compact bed, allowing for ultimate convenience. It folds up into a width of only 8 inches, which allows it to easily store in any closet or under any bed.
It comes with a comfortable, 3-inch mattress, which consists of 2.5 inches of pressure relieving comfort foam, topped with .5 inch of fiber padding. For ultimate support, the mattress sits right on the canvas, rather than some type of spring platform. The 14-inch high frame will be great for older guests so that they do not have to go so far towards the ground.
- 3 inch foam mattress
- Lightweight and compact
- Sits 14 inches off of the ground
- Great price
- Folds up to a width of 8 inches
- Not much support for heavier users
- More narrow than a twin size
Coleman Airbed Cot with Side Tables
You will never have to worry about uncomfortable camping trips again, when you have the Coleman Airbed Cot! This comfortable bed folds up compactly enough to be packed away into a wheeled carrying case, and is perfect for all your travel and camping trips. Inflation and deflation are a breeze, thanks to the handy battery operated pump, and because of the AirTight system, you never have to wake up on a deflated mattress.
The steel frame comes in both twin and queen sizes and will support up to 600 pounds! It also includes two side tables, with cup holders, that are perfect for storing phones, books, or any other personal belongings that you have with you.
- Folds up and packs into a convenient carrying case
- Available in both twin and queen sizes
- Supports up to 600 lbs
- Frame includes two side tables
- Comes with battery operated pump for easy inflation and deflation
- Too heavy to be carried by one person
Quictent Heavy Duty Folding Bed
The Quictent Heavy Duty Folding Bed is comfortable and very sturdy option, yet is also easy and convenient to move and store. The 3 inch foam mattress mattress has a Micro-Quilt 3D Stretch Knit Material cover. Not only is this incredibly comfortable, but also gives it enough friction to keep the mattress in place throughout the night.
The frame is made from heavy-duty reinforced steel and the bed also features two center support belts. These help to add stability and support to the sleeper. This allows the bed to support up to 300 pounds.
This bed also comes with a storage bag, so that you can easily and compactly pack it up for storage.
- Heavy Duty
- Comes with storage bag for easy storage
- 3-inch foam mattress
- Two extra center support belts
- Strap that keeps the bed closed is a bit flimsy
- Carrying case is not sturdy
Coleman ComfortSmart Cot
If you are looking for a good option at the lowest price, then Coleman’s ComfortSmart Cot could be the best option for you. Although not as luxurious as some of the other options, this compact, and lightweight folding bed is perfect for camping and traveling.
Even though the mattress is only 1.75 inches thick, this folding bed is still very comfortable and is definitely an upgrade over sleeping on the ground in your tent! It is longer and wider than most cot sizes, comfortably sleeping someone as tall as 6 feet 6 inches, and has a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds. Coleman’s ComfortSmart coil suspensions will offer you a bed like feel, even in the middle of the most remote forests. And the best part of this bed, there is no assembly required! Just unbox and enjoy!
- Extra long and wider than most folding beds
- Great price
- Supports up to 300lbs
- No assembly required
- Offers bed like feel
- Low to the ground
- Mattress not thick
There truly are some great options available for you, if you are in the market for a new folding bed. Choose one that fits your needs best, whether it be for use at home or somewhere else. Find one that will last you for years to come and provide you with the comfort, support, and convenience that you deserve.