Many people buy a mattress topper because it improves sleep at a lower cost than purchasing a new mattress.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
But when it’s time to go off to college, a mattress topper is the only option for more restful sleep.
Typically, college dorm mattresses are not very comfortable, so a mattress topper is an important item on many families’ shopping list.
It is common for universities to furnish their dorm rooms with twin XL mattresses, presumably to accommodate very tall incoming students, since twin XL simply translates to “extra long”.
As with most sleep products, there are a variety of options and features to choose from, even in twin XL size. No matter which topper you choose, you’re investing in better sleep and better grades!
Mattress Toppers for College – Key Considerations
- Mattress Topper vs. Mattress Pad: In general, a mattress topper is superior to a mattress pad in comfort and quality. Since increased comfort is the goal in purchasing this accessory, a mattress topper is recommended, even if it comes at a higher cost.
- Material: Many of the same materials used for mattresses can be found in a mattress topper. Each material provides a different feel and a different price point. Common topper materials include memory foam, pillow top, latex, feather, fiber, wool, and organic.
- Firmness: Firmness is a matter of personal taste. Some materials are naturally firmer, but other materials have a range. Memory foam, for example, may be soft and squishy or firm and supportive.
- Price: Fortunately, mattress toppers are available at a variety of price points. Depending on the size, quality, and material of the topper, price can range from as low as $29 to as high as $300. It is usually possible to purchase a comfortable, quality mattress at the $50-$60 mark.
- College: Although many colleges provide twin XL mattresses in their dorms, some rooms may vary. Be sure to double check the type of bed that will be in your specific dorm, as some may have full size, or regular twin size.
What are the top five mattress toppers for college?
Here is a summary of the best mattress toppers for college. Each product is highly rated and was chosen with a college student’s budget and comfort in mind. Additionally, all of these toppers are available in a variety of sizes, including twin XL.
What else should you consider when purchasing a mattress topper for college?
As with any products, these toppers vary in price depending on the thickness and features of each one.
A great deal of the decision lies in your personal preference—what material do you prefer? What thickness provides the support and comfort you need?
However, another important factor to consider when weighing your options is warranty.
Each of the recommended mattress toppers above include a warranty, except the Lucid Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
The Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Mattress Topper comes with a 1-year warranty, and the Dreamfoam Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper, Linenspa Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper, and Best Price Mattress Topper all come with a 3-year warranty.
There are a few other factors to take into consideration. First, since you are adding thickness to your bed, be sure that your sheets will still fit around the topper and the mattress.
Search for a deep fitted sheet or a deep sheet set, also available in twin XL size.
Second, when you are moving into a dorm room and limited on space in transport, it may be more efficient to open your mattress topper once in your new room.
Once the mattress topper is fully expanded, it is difficult to pack up again for moving. After moving in, be sure to allow your topper enough time to expand and breathe prior to use.
A mattress topper can be the answer to a major problem that many students face as they enter college.
Moving away from home and a comfortable, familiar bed doesn’t have to be so bad with the right mattress topper.
Since there are so many options for mattress toppers on the market, there is sure to be one that meets your needs and budget.
Although there are several costs associated with moving in at college, a topper is an investment in health and education that can pay off in the form of a happy, successful student.