Orthopedists, beauticians, and dermatologists have long praised the back sleeper; this position is considered to be the best possible sleeping position in the name of health.
Quick Look at Our Top 5 Picks
Not only does this position prevent the aging of the skin, but it gives the neck and spine the best possible resting position to promote bone health.
Whether you are blessed with the back-sleeping position naturally, or you are training yourself to do so, the type of pillow that you use can have dramatic effects on how well you sleep.
Though the problems back sleepers have historically been far less in number than those who sleep on their sides and stomachs, snoring and sleep apnea are common for this sleeping position.
Sore necks and backs can be a problem, too, because many pillows designed to support the back sleeper put pressure in the wrong places. This article showcases pillows that have the best reviews and offer the best solutions to common back-sleeper problems.
Back-Sleeper Pillows Reviews – Our Top Picks
For the training back-sleeper: The Back to Beauty Pillow
View On Amazon
This pillow, created by Helene Sheeler-Johnson, promises to help back sleeping users prevent wrinkles, acne, and back pain by supporting the head and neck with patented head cradling technology.
Not only does this pillow aid back sleepers, but it can help train side and stomach sleepers to sleep on their backs.
- Cradling technology provides visible anti-aging results.
- It provides comfortable back sleeper support.
- The pillow can help with symptoms of acid reflux.
- Supports the head, neck, and back
- Some customers have found the dramatic change in pillow style can be a struggle to adjust to.
- Some users find the head cradling to be weak.
- The pillow is smaller than the average pillow.
- Pillow comes in one size, which unfortunately does not fit all.
This might not be the best pillow for those that consistently sleep on their backs or those that like the freedom to move their head from side-to-side in their sleep.
For folks who are training themselves to sleep on their backs, or occasionally find themselves in a less than comfortable sleeping position, this could be the perfect pillow for you.
Keep in mind that if you’re the kind of sleeper that doesn’t like too much structure, the cradle might irritate you. However, the pillow is made to be inverted should the cradle bother your face.
If you’re looking to improve your looks and back sleeping, this pillow could be a very versatile aid to your beauty rest.
For the training back-sleeper: YourFacePillow: Back and Side Sleeping Pillow
View On Amazon
This pillow has a cradle much like the Back to Beauty Pillow, but with a thicker structure. This pillow is made with CertiPUR Certified memory foam and includes strong side supports, neck support, and cooling flow channels.
This pillow supports the head and neck while also helping prevent acne and the wrinkling of the skin.
The pillow allows for more movement than the Back to Beauty Pillow; if you are a back sleeper that occasionally switches to a side-sleeping position, this pillow may be more comfortable.
- Conforms to the head and provides firm, but comfortable, support.
- The shape of the pillow helps to prevent neck pain, cramps, and kinks.
- Pillow provides visible results against aging and acne.
- Pillow maintains shape and integrity over time.
- The manufacturing company provides extensive customer support.
- Side sleepers hoping to become back sleepers may not sleep well in this pillow, the side supports may irritate or frighten the user.
- Some users find this pillow to be too firm, leaving them with a stiff neck.
This is a great alternative to the Back to Beauty pillow if you’re looking for more structure and a larger size.
This pillow allows for more freedom of movement during sleep, while also training users to stay on their backs.
The customer service and reviews on this product’s Amazon listing surpass that of the Back to Beauty Pillow.
For the back-sleeper with pain from stiff pillows: DreamNorth Premium Gel Pillow
View On Amazon
This pillow is made of breathable, hypo-allergenic cotton and offers a one-year warranty to protect against any manufacturing defects.
The material of the pillow fights against mold, mildew, and dust mites. Weighing in at a 4.8 out of five stars on Amazon, this pillow is a customer favorite.
Reviewers boast about the exceptional quality and reasonable price of the pillow, as well as its durability.
- The pillow features a comfortable and reliable design.
- Formulated with an excellent combination of softness and firmness for back sleepers.
- Helps with back and neck pain back sleepers may face.
- Gel maintains fluffiness of pillow over time.
- Easily washable.
- Shipping material can easily damage the pillow.
- Not for sleepers who enjoy firm pillows, as the head does sink into the pillow.
For back sleepers who are hoping to save money, but still receive high quality, this is an excellent purchase.
The pillow is soft and comfortable, so for those who deal with neck, back, and shoulder pain due to the firmness of pillows, this pillow might help you get a better night’s sleep. If you are in the market for a simple, cuddly, durable pillow, this could be the perfect fit.
For the picky back sleeper: Sweetnight Pillow: Adjustable Loft & Neck Pain Relief
View On Amazon
This pillow, designed for comfort, support, and customization, is a customer favorite.
Sweetnight takes pride in its customer satisfaction guarantee- no questions asked.
If you aren’t satisfied with your pillow, Sweetnight will make it right. The Sweetnight Adjustable Loft & Neck Pain Relief pillow is created with CertiPUR-US Certified foam, ensuring that no toxic chemicals are part of your good night’s sleep.
The pillow is formulated with hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant foam and is easily washable.
Customers can fill the pillow with more foam cubes (or remove cubes, should they need, which can be kept in an included bag for cube storage) depending on personal preference and sleeping position.
The pillow has received a staggering rating of 4.9 out of five stars and within the top fifty best bed pillows on Amazon.
- The pillow can be helpful for back pain.
- Sweetnight provides eco-friendly shipping.
- The pillow serves as a budget-friendly alternative to expensive orthopedic pillows.
- Adjustable to fit each user’s needs.
- Some users report a lingering chemical smell.
- Some users reported a worsening of neck pain, though the vast majority reported it helped their neck pain.
- Can become dirty quickly.
This pillow is an excellent purchase for any back sleeper, as it can be customized to fit whatever needs each individual has.
If you are a back sleeper that needs a thicker pillow for more head elevation or a back sleeper that prefers a thin pillow to keep their spine as flat as possible, Sweetnight can accommodate.
The bag that comes with each pillow contains extra foam pieces to fill the pillow and can hold any foam pieces you don’t need. Customization is just a zipper tug away.
For the Picky Back Sleeper: Veook Pillows: Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
View On Amazon
This pillow is similar to the Sweetnight pillow in its ability to be customized.
This pillow has been created with comfort in mind, while also focusing on the benefits of natural materials.
This pillow features a breathable bamboo cover to keep users cool at night; the pillow itself is infused with Aloe Vera to keep skin refreshed and users relaxed.
- Pillow offers customizable shape and thickness for diverse kinds of sleepers.
- The pillow is hypo-allergenic, dust-mite resistant, and machine washable.
- Relives neck and back stiffness with little to no pressure.
- The bamboo and Aloe Vera elements of the pillow help users stay cool throughout the night.
- The pillow can carry an unpleasant “chemical” odor after being unpacked which usually lasts less than ten days.
- The pillows (both king and queen sized) run larger than the average pillow, making it hard to find pillow cases for them.
If you are a back sleeper who is fond of the Sweetnight Adjustable Loft & Neck Pain Relief pillow, but is in need of more size options, this pillow is perfect for you. If you don’t mind a little bit of a temporary smell, the wait is worth it.
The reviews praise the softness and size of the pillow, as well as how much it has helped with pain the customers faced before using this pillow.
For the back-sleeper in need for support: MALOUF Z-Zoned Memory Foam Pillow
View On Amazon
This unique pillow offers three different shapes, the High Loft, Mid Loft, and the Low Loft to best fit different kinds of sleepers.
The High Loft is highly recommended for most back sleepers, while the Low Loft is best for back sleepers that carry tension, stiffness, and pain in their upper body.
The brand also offers these three shapes in firm and plush options, so users can buy the pillow that fits their needs. The pillow features unique Zoned technology that creates the most comfortable support in all the right places.
- MALOUF offers different shaped pillows for sleeper with different problems.
- This pillow sleeps cooler than many Gel Cool pillows.
- There are plenty of options, making it an option to find the right pillow for every kind of back sleeper.
- Not recommended for users who are sensitive to smells, many customers reported a heavy odor that didn’t seem to go away.
- The pillow is far larger than a standard pillow; some users found it awkwardly long.
- The firm version of the pillow is not recommended for firm beds.
If you know what you like and what you dislike in a pillow, this is a great option.
Not only are there plenty of types to choose from, but the technology makes for a pillow to fit your needs. However, if you aren’t sure what kind of a pillow works best for you, purchasing from this manufacturer may entail a series of returns and exchanges.
For the back-sleeper in need of support: UUQ Latex Pillow
View On Amazon
The UUQ Latex Pillow is formulated with 100% natural Thai latex, which adds many benefits to the pillow, such as a soothing aroma for sleeping, hypoallergenic material, and is environmentally friendly.
The ergonomic design is made especially for back sleepers and supports the neck and spine to decrease snoring.
The pillow includes a lifetime warranty and promises no deformities within the first ten years of use. Amazon reviews put this pillow at an average rating of 4.9 out of five stars!
- UUQ provides a lifetime warranty for the UUQ Latex Pillow.
- The pillow requires very little maintenance due to its latex material.
- The pillow comes with a pure cotton sheet set and pillowcase made to fit the pillow’s unique design.
- The pillow is biodegradable.
- The pillow is not washable.
- Direct sunlight can cause the pillow to yellow.
- If you are sensitive to odors, this pillow may cause headaches and
- Can cause pain in Fibromyalgia patients due to pressure on the neck.
This is a great pillow for a person with neck, back, and shoulder pain due to lack of support.
If you are a clean person who takes care of their furniture, this is a great pillow for you. However, if you have a habit of dirtying pillows (or dwell in a bright bedroom), this pillow might not be the best fit.
While back sleepers enjoy the benefits of their sleeping position, they may be reaping those benefits at a high price.
Comfort and pain relief are closer than one might think- and it all starts with finding what sort of support, softness, and angles they need to get the best night’s sleep.
Sleep begins and ends our days, and how well our bodies respond to the environments in which we sleep determine so much about our health and happiness. Back sleepers can finally find the comfort they need!