Stress, work, parenting, and insomnia are just a few of many factors that we all struggle with when it comes to falling asleep at bedtime. Once you begin to feel sluggish, unfocused, and irritated, even after a few cups of coffee or an energy drink, it could be a sure sign that your body is suffering from a lack of rest. The recommended amount of sleep for people is about 8 hours a night, but not everyone is able to fall asleep and stay down for so many hours. Long term sleep loss can have a negative impact on your heart, brain, nervous and immune system.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
After several weeks with very little rest, it is actually possible to experience hallucinations and mild psychosis! Don’t let yourself fall apart, get back on a schedule by purchasing a sleep tracker! Most people purchase health monitors to lose weight, but don’t realize how much of a major factor sleep is for shedding pounds. Even if you aren’t “technology savvy” sleep trackers are relatively easy to use and usually have a customer support team to help guide you through the process.
What Do I Look For?
- Durability– You should seek out the trackers that have a long battery life and won’t die after a few hours of Bluetooth use. Better yet, get one that comes with a USB charger, they’re convenient when you’re on the go. Although it can be a somewhat annoying to charge your device every day rather than buying a generic battery powered device, it’s more reliable. Additionally, search for a tracker that is water resistant; even if you’re only using it for sleep, it’s good to prepare for things like sweat and rain. Since we’re all human, we often forget to take our wristbands off in the shower and the pool, too. Look for products that come warranties (especially for items made in China), that way your money doesn’t go to waste if your sleep tracker happens to malfunction or break. While 30 day warranties are okay, it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months before a malfunction in your device becomes apparent, so look for a warranty with a longer time frame.
- Detailed Reports– Since sleep tracking is the number one reason you’re looking for a device, make sure that you get the one with the most thorough, and detailed tracking. For example, don’t get a product that only tells you how many hours you’ve slept. Get one that gives you more information on your REM (rapid eye movement) cycles, how much movement you exhibited, and whether or not your rest was peaceful. Other features like the amount of light in your room, heart rate, blood pressure, and time it takes you to fall asleep can also be found in sleep tracking technology. Measuring your blood pressure and heart rate is essential; your resting heart rate lets you know whether or not you’re in good cardiovascular health.
- Upgrade Requirements and Versatility– As health technology evolves and changes, you will have to upgrade your device at some point. Apple products for example need to be updated every couple of years or they will eventually start to malfunction. Some companies provide sleep trackers that update on their own and can be synced with multiple different operating systems (Apple, Android, Microsoft, etc.) to make it more convenient when you’re on the go and can’t carry your computer with you. Always purchase the most updated version on the market, or make sure the one you have can update automatically to prevent glitching.
Check out some of the sleep trackers below to help narrow down your decision!
Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker
View On Amazon
The Fitbit is one of those most popular sleep trackers available! It’s made for tracking a person’s overall fitness, from counting steps to the ability to set goals. Placement and settings are important with the Fitbit in order to maintain accuracy. Be sure that you don’t have it on the sensitive option, and keep it on your wrist as you sleep. This way, you’ll have a correct reading of how long you’ve slept, how many times you woke up, and whether or not you tossed and turned all night.
Keep in mind, the Fitbit is a choking hazard for small children. Be sure not to leave it within their reach.
- Works well for parents who want to check on their baby’s sleeping habits
- Multi-use so that you can track your overall health
- Loses its charge after 8 months to a year, battery may be the issue
- This product may need to be upgraded once newer models are released
If you’re using your sleep tracker for running and exercise, use an alcohol cloth to wipe it down afterward to keep it clean. Don’t use water or soap as this can damage the technology and ruin your Fitbit. This product includes a lithium ion battery, and your information can be saved through your computer or your phone so you can track your progress.
Garmin Vivofit Fitness Band
View On Amazon
When it comes to goals, the yearly ones are important, but what about the daily tasks that need to be accomplished? Good news! The Garmin Vivo Fitness band tracks your everyday goals, and that includes how much rest you’re getting. After each night, your tracker will give you a detailed report on how many hours you’ve slept, and how much time you spent resting versus tossing and turning. The Garmin Fitness Band provides excellent results for anyone who needs to be on a strict sleep schedule.
- Wrist band has a more secure lock than the Fitibit
- Long battery life, up to 2 years
- Waterproof, you can take a shower while wearing the Garmin
- Some models have had issues with syncing
- In order to save battery life this sleep tracker doesn’t include a backlight, making it difficult to set into sleep mode
Another excellent feature of this wrist band is that you can edit your report times just in case you forget to turn your sleep tracker off during the day. Overall, the Garmin is basically flawless! The only major issue is syncing, and this can be resolved by contacting the company for a replacement. They may be able to extract the information on your old one and send it to you as well.
Huawei Watch Classic Smartwatch
View On Amazon
The Huawei is one of the most durable smartwatch sleep trackers available. It has built-in GPS, top of the line Corning Gorilla Glass, a metal encasement, and leather straps for a solid fit that stays on your wrist all night and all day. While many sleep trackers record your movement through the night, this smartwatch tracks the light that enters your room and your REM cycles! You can go for a long distance run, sweat, take a shower, and you won’t have to worry about your watch getting wet.
- Tracks REM cycles
- Syncs with Google Play and Google Assistant
- Contains a specialized serial number to prevent fraud or theft
- Some issues with the hardware falling apart, buttons popping off
- Screen seems to fade out after long term use, may need repair or replacement
- Battery drains quickly when GPS is being used
Unlike other trackers, if someone steals your Huawei they won’t be able to resell it anywhere thanks to the serial number. Other than some minor design problems, this product functions properly and will keep you informed on your sleep habits. Keep in mind, it is typical for GPS to drain the battery faster regardless of what device you may using and should not necessarily be viewed as a defect. Rapid eye movement cycle reports are the most effective way to represent the quality of your rest, so this is considered an effective device for sleep tracking.
Linktelek Connected Waterproof Bluetooth Smartphone
View On Amazon
The Linktelek is unique in that it is one of few sleep trackers that also monitors your heart rate, which can be very useful for people who have sleep apnea. This condition can create a negative effect on your health by reducing oxygen in the bloodstream, hurting your heart and brain. As a personal recommendation, the Linktelek is must-buy if you do have problems with sleep apnea, snoring, or other problems that obstruct your breathing through the night. Since it comes with a built-in USB charger, you don’t have to worry about replacing a battery, just plug it in let it charge up. Battery operated devices don’t usually have backlighting, but since the Lintelek is chargeable it does include an LED backlight.
- Tracks heart rate in your sleep
- Remote camera capabilities
- USB charger, wire free
- Pedometer may be inaccurate
- Some issues with syncing and charging
- Occasionally delivered dead on arrival
This sleep tracker is one of a few that offer a silent wakeup alarm that buzzes quietly so that you don’t disturb your partner or wake up late. The only real downside to the Linktelek sleep tracker is that is does not come with a warranty. Always hold onto your receipt and the box that it came with so that you can make an exchange or return within the time period that the company allows, usually within 30 to 60 days.
LETSCOM Fitness Tracker for Kids, Women, and Men
View On Amazon
Available in gray, navy blue, purple, and light pink, the LETSCOM fitness tracker has all the best features: a silent alarm, USB charging, a long battery life, and an accurate reading of your sleep quality. Since this product is waterproof and comes in children sizes, it has a high level of durability and can help you track how well your kids sleep, too! Do you lose or misplace your phone frequently? No worries, the LETSCOM device will help you look for it so you don’t have to waste time panicking.
- Can be connected to your phone to answer text messages and calls
- Automatically begins to track your sleeping without having to switch to a different setting
- Can be set to find your phone through GPS if you lose it
- Does not track your heart rate
- Some interference when using the LETSCOM with car phones and Bluetooth
Most of the issues reported on this device arise with the Bluetooth feature, but this doesn’t make the call and text feature any less convenient. Otherwise, this sleep tracker operates as advertised and gives exceptional feedback on your sleeping patterns. The heart rate tracking is a nice feature for sleep but it is not a requirement, the automatic sleep mode makes up for it!
Letsfit Waterproof Fitness Tracker
View On Amazon
The Letsfit health monitor has the longest charge hold of all the products listed. One charge from the USB should last you a full 7 days if you’re just using it for health purposes. Once you are connected to the VeryFitPro App, you’ll receive full details on the progress of your sleep habits. The Letsfit tracker also helps to document your steps, calories burned, and you’ll be able to set up a maximum of 10 alarms to remind you to finish your daily to-do list.
- Automatic sleep tracking, no manual entry required
- Includes different workout trackers within the app
- Priced a bit lower than other sleep trackers, more affordable
- You have to download an app to use this device
- Does not include a heart rate monitor
This sleep tracker is both stylish and excellent for producing thorough information in all areas of your physical fitness and sleep patterns. Unfortunately, recent batches of the Letsfit Waterproof Fitness Tracker have malfunctioned or stopped working. However, the company is currently striving to resolve the issue and it shouldn’t deter you from trying this device if you decide that you like it! The 12 month warranty will protect you from losing your money. Not all trackers include warranties, so you should take advantage of this provided luxury.
Bloranda Fitness Tracker
View On Amazon
The Bloranda is a very simple, inexpensive item that is aimed toward those on a health kick, and on a budget at the same time. The instructions on this device are clear and easy to use, you should be able to snap on your fitness tracker and get going in minutes. This tracker is able to detect changes in your body temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate, and regularly yields new health reports throughout the day.
- Accurate blood pressure readings
- Counts your daily calorie intake
- Long battery life and water resistant
- Doesn’t keep track of your REM cycles
- Is a bit more basic than other fitness and sleep tracking devices
With this tracker you’ll if your sleep was sober, light, or deep and automatically shifts into this state without you having to push a single button. Although it doesn’t monitor your rapid eye movement cycles, the blood pressure is still an added bonus.
Akasma Fitness Tracker HR
View On Amazon
This fun, funky wristband has a colorfully lit backlight that gives it an extra bright pop! The screen is easily viewable in both the sun and the dark, which isn’t a common feature for most sleep trackers. The Akasma is just a bit more unique than others in that way. It comes with a free replacement wristband and conveniently charges by a USB connection. It has an exceptionally short charge time of an hour to an hour and a half, and begins tracking your sleep automatically.
- Includes heart rate monitor
- Includes blood pressure monitor
- Waterproof and dirt proof encasement
- Some minor issues connecting this device to Bluetooth
The Akasma Fitness Tracker will let you know when someone is calling or texting, you’ll never miss a meeting. Not to mention, there’s a silent alarm to wake you up in the morning, without disturbing your loved ones. If you have trouble getting your device set up, click the Amazon link for a detailed set of instructions. This product has very few cons and is worth every penny, stay rested in style!
CADIC Fitness Tracker
View On Amazon
The CADIC has many built-in features including a heart rate monitor and 14+ sports options to choose from. Once you get home from your evening soccer game, tuck into bed and let the automatic sleep monitor document your rest. You can connect the CADIC to your Bluetooth device to answer phone calls and text messages as well! The adjustable wristband will fit wrists with a width of 5.4 inches to 7.6 inches, and the watch is very easy to set up.
- You can access Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and other social media apps
- Remote control over your camera
- Includes GPS
- Only syncs with smart phones that are iOS7 and up
- Minor issues with the screen display
- Some boxes have arrived empty or missing parts
Once fully charged, the CADIC should last the average user about 8 full days without needing to be plugged in again! This sleep tracker also comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, if your product arrives with any issues you can send it back for a full refund or exchange.
Waterproof Huawise Fitness Tracker and Sleep Monitor
View On Amazon
Last but not least, the Huawise sleep tracker is one of a kind. This device reminds you when you’ve been sitting too long, tells you how the night went as you slept, and has multiple options for tracking activities such as running. It only takes about a couple of hours to charge the Huawise, and the sweat-proof casing will keep it safe from debris and moisture. However, it is best not to submerse this device or expose it to heavy rainfall.
- Accurately tracks your heart rate
- Automatically tracks your sleep as long as monitoring is activated
- Able to see the screen in sunlight with no problems
- May be water resistant, not necessarily waterproof as advertised
- Your watch can sometimes confuse sedentary activity in the evening for sleep, might need to adjust time manually
The Huawise has a USB charging port and will last about 5 full days with monitoring activated, and 8 days with monitoring deactivated. It only takes 2 hours or less to charge, and is incredibly durable. Doctors and nurses who work on call will love that this device also receives phone calls and messages, duty calls at all house for those in the medical field!
The best thing about these sleep trackers is that they all serve more than one purpose. Sleep tracking is important, but staying active is an essential part of waking up and feeling well rested in the morning. If you haven’t had much activity throughout the day or exerted any steam, you’ll still have plenty of energy at night and you won’t be able to sleep well. Take advantage of the many perks that come with purchasing sleep and fitness trackers. Since charting your sleep is the most important feature, stick to the devices that place more emphasis on the details of nightly ritual rather than caloric intake or steps taken. Always search for a device that measures your heart rate or blood pressure, if you have issues in these areas your monitor will let you know through your resting heart rate.
If you really want to get serious about tracking your sleep, don’t just rely on syncing your monitor to a phone or a computer. Make a sleep journal, and write down the information that your tracker has collected. Make sure you have included the time you went to bed, how many times you woke up, your heart rate, blood pressure, and any other relevant health data. Since technology is constantly changing and new designs are created every day, it’s convenient and smart to keep handwritten information available. By doing this, you can always purchase an upgraded model 5 years from now and still be able to see whether your quality of rest has improved over time.
Keep a well filed record of your sleeping patterns and share them with your doctor, it might be useful to you one day!