There’s no better way to cope with a long flight or car ride than taking a restful nap and waking up when you’ve arrived at your destination. How do you make this possible?
Quick Look at Our Top 6 Picks
First of all, you need to be comfortable—and that’s where the travel blanket comes in.
What are the key considerations when buying a travel blanket?
Here are some of the most important items to consider when you’re shopping around for a travel blanket to accompany you on long, boring trips.
- Color & Pattern: For some people, the color and pattern of the blanket don’t matter very much, but for others a pleasing aesthetic is essential. (There’s nothing wrong with preferring a blanket that makes you happy to look at it!) Some travel blankets come in colors and patterns (both feminine and masculine) but many stick to neutrals like gray and navy blue. One of the first things you need to decide on when buying a travel blanket is whether you want one that’s fun or one more drab.
- Size: How do you want to wear your blanket? Some people like to just drape a blanket across their laps, but others like to wear it around their shoulders and have enough length to cover their toes. If you’re generally colder, or you have a tough time getting comfortable in vehicle seats, you may want to opt for a longer blanket.
How tall are you? That’s the second consideration when it comes to size. Taller people need larger blankets, whereas smaller people (and children) can pick one with less fabric.
- Material: Blanket materials can range from super soft to more coarse fabrics. Some materials are thinner, and therefore easier to pack and travel with, but bulkier fabrics will keep you warmer. How short are you on space and how important is it to you to have a super cozy experience?
What features do travel blankets have?
Here are some of the special features that a travel blanket might have. Which ones are essential for your travel experience?
- Hypoallergenic: Some travel blankets are made of hypoallergenic material that won’t set off the immune systems of anyone using them.
- Machine Washable: Not all blankets are machine washable, but you should consider making this feature a must-have if you’re going to be on dirty airplanes or muddy camping trips.
- Matching Storage Bag: Some travel blankets come with a storage bag that will keep your blanket clean and dry when not in use. This is particularly important for those who can’t carry too much luggage! Of course, those that don’t come with storage bags can be rolled up and secured with rubber bands.
- Pocket: Some blankets include a pocket that can be used to store items during your flight or car ride. This way, you have less of a chance of dropping something on the floor and not noticing because your blanket is in the way.
- Poncho Shape: Similar to the infamous Snuggie, some travel blankets are meant to be worn over the neck and shoulders so they stay firmly in place and keep you as cozy as possible.
Which travel blanket is the best?
World’s Best Cozy-Soft Microfleece Travel Blanket View On Amazon
This 100% polyester fleece-knit blanket has a lightweight feel, like a sweatshirt or a fleece jacket. This property means that it is more compact when rolled up, and therefore easier to travel with.
This blanket is four feet by five feet, meaning it won’t be big enough to cover your entire body from the neck down, but it would be great for setting across your lap or giving to children.
It’s machine washable (with similar colors, in warm water, and tumble dried) which is very convenient on germy planes or when traveling with kids.
- Doesn’t “pill” during washing process
- Offers great color choices
- Very good price
- Doesn’t come with a storage bag
- Thin and therefore less warm than other options
- Sheds lint on other surfaces
- Made of coarse fabric
Cocoon CoolMax Blanket View On Amazon
This polyester blanket is state-of-the-art—it’s small and lightweight, but will keep you warm. Not too warm, however—if you start to sweat, it will wick the moisture away from your skin for a more comfortable lounging experience. At 70×56”, it’s long enough for adults to wear, but of course that means it’s going to be a little pricier than other options.
- Comes with a high-quality mesh bag with a strap, which ends up being a little bigger than a soda can when in use
- Doesn’t come in a lot of color choices
- The material isn’t very durable and may come apart after repeated washing
Cabeau Fold ‘N Go Travel Blanket & Case View On Amazon
If you’re fidgety and have a hard time getting comfortable, this might be the option for you. This particular blanket can be folded into its storage bag and used a few different ways. It can be a banket, of course, but it can also serve as a neck pillow, a lumbar support, or a seat cushion, meaning that you can adapt to whatever kind of seat you find yourself in.
The material is French microfiber, making for a very soft product that’s also machine washable. It’s 60×36” when unfolded, meaning it may be a little small if you’re on the tall side. When folded and placed in the bag, it measures 12x7x4” and has a convenient handle.
This blanket comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- The material is opaque, so you can use it to block out light while napping
- Leaves lint on surfaces
- The Velcro on the handle is low-quality and doesn’t stick firmly
Forestfish Fleece Throw Blanket View On Amazon
This 100% polyester travel blanket measures 60×40”. With cold water and no bleach, it’s perfectly machine washable, and won’t fade or pill. The edges are neatly sewn for an attractive product. It comes with a waterproof and anti-dust drawstring bag for storage, as well as a 30-day money back guarantee and a one-year warranty.
- Very soft
- Comes in attractive patterns
- Not long enough to be used as more than a lap blanket
- The accompanying bag is fragile
Travelrest 4-in-1 Premier Class Travel Blanket with Pocket
View On Amazon
This blanket is poncho-style, meaning it has a slit through which you put your head so it can rest on your neck and shoulders and keep you warm from head to toe. It also features a roomy pocket on the front (think kangaroos) for keeping items while you’re napping or relaxing.
You have a few choices when it comes to this model. You can get a 38×60” blanket or a bigger 40×72” blanket, and you can choose either gray or navy blue. This might not be a lot of color options, but the neutrals should be appealing to most.
The blanket comes with a carrying case with a strap, which has snaps so it can be attached to luggage.
- Very helpful customer service
- Carry case snaps and zipper not very sturdy
- Sheds lint on surfaces
HappyLuxe Wayfarer Travel Wrap and Shawl
View On Amazon
This is possibly your most stylish travel blanket option, and while it may be a little more expensive, many would agree that it’s worth the price.
The style is particularly feminine, which may not suit everyone. It comes in three colors—black, grey, and pink—and can be used as a wrap, a scarf, or a blanket. At the back of the neck is a hidden pocket meant for air-activated warming pads for a particularly luxurious and cozy travel experience. It measures 72×35” and isn’t bulky when folded.
The micromodal fabric is soft, breathable, lightweight, durable and environmentally sustainable, as well as easy to clean—just machine wash on gentle, with cold water and like colors. It won’t pill or wrinkle!
- More stylish than other travel blanket options
- Doesn’t pill or wrinkle
- Responsive customer service
- Not as warm as other blanket options due to lightweight construction
- Feminine style that might not suit all possible users
Best Travel Blanket – Final Thoughts
We’ve reviewed six travel blankets with a variety of features and in a variety of price ranges. Each one is distinct, but they all have been hailed as really solid travel blanket options that are sure to give you a bang for your buck.
What features are on your must-have list when it comes to a travel blanket? Which model are you going to go with? Let us know in the comments below!