If you suffer from sciatica causing pain in your lower back (due to stress on the sciatic nerve), you are likely having trouble getting a good night’s sleep.
Quick Look at Our Top Pick:
This can affect your everyday life just as terribly as your nerve pain can. In addition to the medications or other remedies you might be using, you can also switch up your sleeping situation. This is a small change that can make a huge difference!
One way to do this is by getting a new mattress. Some mattresses are better at giving you support that you need. Your current mattress could be making your pain worse or causing you additional discomfort.
Sometimes, an uncomfortable mattress can even make it impossible to sleep. You don’t want to spend all night tossing and turning. You need a good night’s sleep!
A mattress for sciatica pain should help to improve your everyday life and your health too.
If you decide you want to shop for a new mattress to help with your nerve pain, you should start with some research.
We’ve come up with some of the considerations that you should keep in mind when you are looking for a mattress to help with your sciatica nerve pain.
We also created a list of the five best mattresses for sciatica. Take a look at our guidelines and our top picks to help you make a final decision!
What Should I Consider When Shopping for a Mattress for Sciatica?
There are a few things that you should keep in mind when it’s time to go shopping for a new mattress. By thinking about these considerations ahead of time, you can avoid some of the common issues that people experience when they get a new mattress.
As you reference our list of important factors, think about your own needs as well. We believe that each and every one of these considerations is necessary to think about, but not all of them will apply to all users.
- Comfort: If you are dealing with sciatica, you know how important a comfortable mattress can be. This is essential in giving you a great night’s sleep and can help to alleviate some of your daytime pain as well.
When you are shopping around for a new mattress, you should be looking for one that meets your comfort preferences. For example, some users prefer a firm mattress while others like a very plush one. We’ll get into the other ways that a mattress can be comfortable or uncomfortable next.
- Thickness: How thick a mattress is can be one way to determine the comfort level. In general, thicker mattresses will be plusher, which means that thinner mattresses will be firmer. This isn’t always the case. Be sure to check the specific mattress to see just how comfortable it is, regardless of its thickness.
- Firmness: Firmness is another contributor to how comfortable you feel on a mattress. If your mattress is too firm, you won’t be able to sink into the mattress to get all cozy. Some people prefer the firm support of a mattress.
For sciatica specifically, you should get a mattress with medium firmness. This will help to ensure that you are comfortable and getting the right support for your back.
- Flipping Ability: One way that you can combat sciatica and other pain is by flipping and rotating your mattress regularly. Over time, your mattress will begin to sag in certain areas. This lessens the support beneath your body, which can worsen your symptoms.
Not all mattresses can be rotated, so this is something to look for. It will help to make sure that you stay comfortable and have the right support. You want to keep an even sleeping surface and prevent any sinking and sagging.
- Material: Some materials are simply more supportive and effective at helping people with back pain. A couple of these include latex and memory foam. They are known to be useful in providing the right amount of support and giving your body the relief it needs.
Other mattresses can help with sciatica, but latex and memory foam are some of the better options.
- Price: As with all major purchases, the cost is important to keep in mind. Be cautious when you’re shopping for a mattress specifically for sciatica. Some companies might try to sell you a more expensive mattress due to your health condition, which simply isn’t necessary.
Look for a mattress that is within your budget. Our list of mattresses, which we will look at shortly, covers a range of prices and preferences. There are mattresses for individuals with sciatica, regardless of their budget or any other needs.
- Trial Period: Some mattresses come with a trial period. This means that you can sleep on the mattress for a set amount of time. This is usually anywhere from 30 to 90 days, but some go up to a whole year. No matter how long the trial period is, this is important for people with sciatica. A trial period can help you to decide whether or not a mattress is going to work for you. This can help you to feel better about this major purchase as well. Most companies will gladly refund you your money if you decide to return the mattress within the set time frame. You can then test out other mattresses. This should also give you some insight about which types of mattresses help or hurt your sciatica.
- Warranty: Many mattresses come complete with warranties. These warranties range from five years to a lifetime. These can help to give you the peace of mind you need when you’re buying a mattress. You want to make sure that you will be covered if anything happens to your new mattress. Warranties aren’t always a necessity though. Some folks would prefer to replace their mattress on their own, which can work as well. Warranties are nice to have as a backup plan though!
Product Reviews: Top 5 Best Mattresses for Sciatica
We’ve found five of the best mattresses for sciatica to help you narrow your search. These are ranked from our favorite to least favorite, but all of them are excellent choices. Plus, these will all be helpful in reducing your nerve or back pain and giving you a great night’s sleep!
Overall, our top pick is the Sleep Innovations Shiloh Mattress because it works the best for people with sciatica. It’s affordable and has all of the features that you could want in a mattress. It’s been shown to be helpful in reducing back pain.
The other mattresses that made it into our top five are still great options and should definitely be considered! Be sure to think about your own personal preferences as you look at the mattresses that we reviewed.
This will help you to narrow down your search so that you get what you want to have in a mattress.
In addition to looking at product reviews, you should consult your doctor.
They might have extra suggestions or guidelines for you to follow when you’re looking for a mattress to help with your sciatica. Plus, they are most familiar with your particular condition and can tell you what might help or hurt your body.
As you can see, there are plenty of great mattresses available for sciatica. With the right research, you can find one that will work well for you. Your pain can be alleviated so that you can get a better night’s sleep and get back to living a fuller life!