When the colder months roll around, cozy mode is turned on! The colder weather just makes you want to cuddle up with your favorite blanket and watch holiday movies in bed. Maybe even with a cup of hot chocolate, and fuzzy socks too! Even though most of us have the heat turned up during the winter time, there’s something about the colder weather that just inspires a cuddle with a great blanket. There are a lot of blankets out there, but the best blankets for winter are the ones that keep you the warmest and comfiest during the cooler time of the year.
I think it’s safe to say that you want your winter blanket to be cozy, while you stay in watching your favorite show. When it comes to winter blankets, the thicker is usually the better. Most are looking for a dense blanket that has some weight to it. The last thing you want is a thin blanket that will let cold air through. Even if a blanket is extremely soft, that doesn’t mean it has the weight or density to be a great blanket for winter. The type of knit or fabric the blanket is made of can also make it heavier, and definitely more cozy! And, after deciding your preferred fabric, there may be a few other things to consider.
Which Fabrics to Look For
What many warm winter blankets have in common: similar fabrics. Fabric can greatly control the temperature of material. The last thing you want during winter is a cool, silky blanket. Here’s a list of the fabrics you should be looking for:
- Wool & Cashmere: These fabrics are midweight to heavyweight, making them great for winter. These fabrics come from the fleece of animals like llamas, alpacas, sheep, and goats. These animals have thick coats that make them great for turning into heavy and bulky fibers, which in turn keeps you warm!
- Cotton: When cotton is used as a blanket for winter, it’s a midweight fiber that can be made flexibly for the purpose you’re looking for. You can find a cotton fiber with more weight than others as a winter blanket, but it’s also known for being breathable and moisture wicking. Cotton is also great for those with allergies because it can be washed in hot water.
- Synthetic: You will probably find a lot of blankets that are made out synesthetic fibers like polyester and acrylic because they tend to render an extremely soft blanket. These fabrics can be midweight, adding to their warmth and making them a great winter fabric.
Bedsure Sherpa Throw Blanket
This reversible throw is throw, is great when you’re looking for a soft blanket to cuddle up with. This microfiber blanket is double layered, with a colored flannel side and Sherpa side. This gives it extra warmth, and the option to whichever side you’d like. This blanket is available in a twin that measures 60 by 80 inches or in queen or throw size. It’s also available in 14 different colors, making sure you can find a blanket in a color that matches your winter décor! It’s recommended to wash this on delicate, and to air dry. And if you’re a pet owner, your pet’s hair will not stick to it.
- Double layered
- Extremely soft
- Bright color options
- Nice weight to it
- Does not shed
- Some received blanket without Sherpa side
- Threading may come loose in some areas
Lavish Home Wolf Mink Blanket
Whether you’re a big fan of wolves, or just looking for heavy blanket to keep your warm during winter, this will do it. This plush blanket is available in other patterns and colors, so you have a variety of options to pick from. Made out of 100% polyester, this blanket is sure to be your go-to winter blanket when you want to cozy up on your couch or even for an added layer of warmth on your bed. It weights 7.5 pounds, to provide pristine comfort in a blanket for winter. This blanket measures 74 by 91 inches, fitting a queen sized bed, with self-hemmed edging to prevent fraying. It is recommended to wash this on machine wash cold, on a gentle cycle, and to tumble dry low.
- Large blanket
- Great price for quality
- Heavy blanket
- Soft & smooth
- Great quality – lasts for many years
- Difference in quality for solid colored blankets
- Slippery – can slide off bed easily
Utopia Bedding Polar Fleece Blanket
This is a great basic blanket for winter. Especially if you have a family that is constantly on the move or could use an extra blanket around, this one is perfect! Made out of 100% polyester polar fleece, this blanket is warm and toasty. It is double sided with brushed fabric, meaning it will feel even softer against your skin. The queen size measures 90 by 90 inches, but it is also available in twin or king size. Especially for the price, this is a great staple blanket for winter that could also be used for travel, to keep in your car, or on your bed. It is recommended to wash on a cold and gentle cycle, and tumble dry gentle on low.
- Available in 4 different colors
- Available in 3 different sizes
- 100% polyester fleece
- Very affordable
- Warm & cozy
- Does not pill
- Some think it’s too thin
- Some experienced shedding
WestPoint Home Cotton Woven Blanket
If you’re looking for a natural cotton blanket for winter, look no further! This 100% cotton blanket is great to use as a blanket or as another layer to your bed for extra warmth. Not only will this blanket bring an added layer of cozy that you need during winter, but it has a chevron texture to it, giving this blanket a timeless style. This blanket measures 66 by 90 inches, but is also available in king or queen/full sizes. Unlike other cotton blankets that urge buyers to size up in order to account for any shrinkage, this blanket remains true to size even after washing. It is recommended to wash before using, and to carefully read the care instructions.
- True to size
- Timeless chevron pattern
- Available in 9 colors & 3 sizes
- 100% cotton
- Washes well
- Some experienced pilling
- Colors may not be true to pictures
Tache Tartan Plaid Throw Blanket
Looking for a cute blanket to gift for the holidays? This plaid blanket is not only a warm cuddle during the cold winter nights, but can be used as a prop for a photo shoot or even a great travel blanket. Made out of polyester, this plaid throw blanket is the cozy you’re looking for. Not only is a great blanket to wrap in on the couch or in bed, it can be a great blanket to travel with. Being in 3 different sizes, you have the luxury to pick which option would best fit your purpose. It is recommended to wash this blanket on machine wash cold and to tumble dry on low. This blanket will even be long enough for those that are taller.
- Machine washable
- Available in 3 different sizes
- Great for multiple purposes
- Not too thin
- Has a bit of a weight to it
- Only available in one pattern
- Some say it’s more brown than pictures show
Other Factors to Consider
While the fabric of blankets for winter is extremely important, there are still other factors to consider that may help you find a new cuddling blanket. When on your shopping hunt, keep these factors in mind.
- Size. Blankets for the winter don’t just come in one size. Where do you want to cuddle up with your winter blanket? Blankets can come in throw, twin, queen, or even king sizes. If you love to cuddle up in your bed, make sure the blanket is available in bed sizes. Especially those that are taller, larger blankets will cover your whole body!
- Layers. Some blankets come in either one single layer, or with double layers. If you’re especially cold all the time, or looking for an extremely warm blanket, then look for a double layered blanket. Plus, it usually has 2 different fabrics, offering more versatility.
- Weight. This can make a great blanket into the best blanket for winter. The weight of a blanket also improves its quality and warmth. Just like you save your heavier blankets for the coldest times during the winter, the same applies to blankets!
All and all, a blanket has one ultimate purpose: to keep you warm. Whether you’re looking for a blanket to bring with you to sports outings while it’s cold outside, or a thick blanket to cuddle up with while watching a movie or reading a good book, there’s a blanket out there for you. Blankets come in all different shapes and sizes, and definitely in every price range. Whether you have a larger budget or a smaller one, you can still find a quality blanket for the amount you’re willing to spend. Just keep in mind, look out for fabrics like wool, cotton, and synthetic, as these are the heaviest and warmest fabrics. And also look for heavier weighted blankets to add extra warmth as well as a feeling of security. Nothing is better than buying a new blanket!