Do you sleep on your stomach? If so, then you know that finding a comfortable mattress can be pretty tricky. You need a good combination of softness and support; otherwise, you are likely to develop discomfort in your neck and/or lower back pain.
Quick Look at Our Top 5 Picks
Key Considerations – Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Firmness Level – Most stomach sleepers do best on a medium-firm mattress with a top that’s soft enough to prevent uncomfortable stomach compression, and a supportive layer that is firm enough to keep the spine properly aligned so that it does not sway forward or to either side.
- Your Body Type – If your body type leans toward the curvy end of things, then you’re likely to appreciate a softer mattress than someone who has a thinner, straighter body.
- Type of Mattress – There are quite a few different types of mattresses to choose from these days!
- Some foam mattresses or mattresses with foam tops offer a good combination of softness and support, and if you choose memory foam, you will probably enjoy the way it molds itself to your body’s unique shape. So long as the supportive layers are firm enough to keep your spine aligned, these mattresses are likely to suit your needs.
- Traditional innerspring mattresses without soft pillowtop layers tend to feel too firm to most stomach sleepers. One drawback of high-quality pillowtop innerspring mattresses is that they tend to be quite expensive.
- Hybrid mattresses combine features of both foam and innerspring mattresses, and many offer a pleasing combination of comfort and support. While hybrids were once cost-prohibitive, some manufacturers have developed new models that combine comfort, support, and affordability.
- Heat Retention – Some mattresses can be hot, but more and more models come with cooling components built in. If you live in a hot climate or tend to overheat while sleeping, you may benefit from a mattress made with components designed to help prevent excess heat buildup.
- Mattress Thickness – A mattress that is too thick might cause problems, unless it has a firm core that prevents your body from sinking. Of course, it’s important to take other factors such as your size and weight into account; heavier people and those with curvy shapes typically enjoy thicker mattresses. The good news is that many of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers come in different thicknesses, so you can choose the one that’s best-suited to your body size and type.
- Mattress Size – If you sleep by yourself, then any size mattress is likely to do. If you sleep with a partner, it’s likely that you’ll do best on a queen or king size mattress, as these give each of you plenty of room to stretch out.
With these factors in mind, we’ve reviewed several models and carefully chosen a field of ten mattresses that belly sleepers find comfortable. Each of the following reviews includes insight in the form of statements from others who share your preferred sleeping position.
Best Rated Mattress for Stomach Sleepers – Nectar Sleep
If you love the feel of memory foam and you want medium-firm support, then you might want to put Nectar on your short list. Rapidly gaining a reputation as one of the best mail order mattresses in the business,
Nectar features high-density memory foam that’s guaranteed to stand the test of time – so much so, that the company offers a “Forever” warranty against defects for as long as the original purchaser owns the mattress.
Nectar mattresses feature five layers, each with a distinct purpose. The breathable base layer is designed to provide stability and prevent excessive sinking.
An adaptive hi core memory foam layer rests on top of the base. This recovery foam layer provides a combination of support, bounce, and pleasant rebound.
Next is a gel memory foam layer, which provides a combination of cooling, contouring, and reliable weight distribution.
A layer of quilted gel memory foam provides even more air circulation while imparting a pleasant, contouring feel. A Tencel cooling cover wicks away moisture and heat, helping you sleep comfortably.
It comes in all sizes, is suitable for all foundations and frames, and can be set up for a small fee. Like most other mail order mattress companies, Nectar offers financing if needed.
- High-quality components for comfort and longevity
- Best-in-class warranty and trial period
- Life time warranty
- Affordable price, with financing available
- Some reports of negative interactions with customer service department
- A little more “new product smell” than some competitors
Best Cooling Mattress for Stomach Sleepers – Puffy Mattress
Feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud every night with the Puffy Mattress. This mattress comes in two configurations – the original 10-inch Puffy Mattress and the 12-inch Puffy Lux. The former consists of two layers of cooling memory foam over a base layer of support foam while the luxury model adds a layer of ultra-adaptive, contouring foam to melt away pressure points and maximize support.
The Puffy Mattress offers either a medium-firm level of support (Puffy Mattress) or a medium-plush level of comfort (Puffy Lux). Both configurations feature Cooling Cloud Temperature Regulation technology to dissipate heat along with optimal levels of pressure relief, contouring and support. The luxury model delivers targeted full-body pressure relief with active support and contouring as well as enhanced spinal alignment, all wrapped in a luxury cover.
Hand-crafted from CertiPUR-US Certified memory foams, this mattress comes in two configurations, both of which are available in six sizes ranging from Twin to California King. The Puffy Mattress is proudly made in the USA from premium materials using environmentally friendly practices. Prices start at $795 for the original and $1,445 for the luxury model and the mattress can be used on any surface.
- Made from climate-adaptive material for a cool night sleep
- Adapts well to all sleeping styles, particularly stomach sleepers
- Hand-crafted in the USA from premium-quality materials
- Only one firmness option available for each model
- Edge support could be stronger
Best Organic Mattress for Stomach Sleepers – Avocado Green Mattress
Finding a mattress that supports your sleeping style is one thing (be it sleeping on your tummy, side sleeping, front sleeping), but finding a mattress made from materials, you can feel good about is another. The Avocado Green mattress features certified organic materials, including latex, wool, and cotton with pocketed spring coils to deliver a comfortable and eco-friendly night of sleep.
This mattress offers a balanced level of firmness that appeals to most sleeping styles with the optional pillow-top add on that appeals particularly to stomach sleepers.
If you’re looking for a mattress that offers the ideal combination of softness and support for tummy sleepers, Avocado Green is a great option. Not only is it uniquely designed for stomach sleepers, but it features premium materials with handcrafted details for an unforgettable sleeping experience.
- Balanced level of firmness with optional pillow-top for stomach sleepers
- High-quality organic materials with handcrafted details
- Strong edge support and above-average durability
- Somewhat heavy and tricky to move, depending on size
- Potential for some noise with movement
Best Mattress for Lightweight Sleepers – Saatva Mattress
Lightweight sleepers often find memory foam mattresses to be too firm, especially stomach sleepers.
The Classic Saatva mattress is ideal for both lightweight sleepers and stomach sleepers because it is a hybrid mattress featuring a combination of high-quality foams and an innerspring system.
This mattress utilizes a coil-on-coil construction for maximum support with polyfoam and memory foam for contouring comfort. It comes in three different firmness levels as well, so you can choose the one that is ideal for your sleeping style, body weight, and preferences.
- Hybrid construction featuring high-quality foams with an innerspring system
- Comes in three different firmness levels (medium-soft, medium-firm, and firm)
- Comes with a 120-night trial period and free white glove delivery
- Innerspring system makes it very heavy and tricky to move
- May have a shorter lifespan than non-innerspring mattresses
Best Mattress for Heavyweight Sleepers – WinkBeds Plus Mattress
Stomach sleepers have unique needs when it comes to comfort and support. When you throw a heavier body weight into the mix, things can get complicated, but the WinkBeds Plus mattress is the perfect solution.
The WinkBeds mattress has a luxury hybrid construction featuring dynamic specialty foams layered above a supportive innerspring system. Plus, with a pressure-relieving Euro-pillow top, it provides the ideal combination of softness and support for stomach sleepers.
WinkBeds offers four levels of firmness, including the WinkBeds Plus mattress which is specifically designed for heavier sleepers. All four models offers the 3-step back relief system to support proper spinal alignment and relief back pain as well as the Duratech Lifetime Durability System for longevity.
- Multiple levels of firmness, including one designed specifically for heavy individuals
- Excellent edge support and motion isolation properties
- Luxury hybrid construction featuring high-quality materials
- The 120-night trial period requires a 30-night break-in period
- Fairly expensive compared to other models, particularly the Plus model
Best Mattress for Value – Live and Sleep Mattress
Buying a new mattress is a significant expense, but you don’t necessarily need to spend a small fortune.
Our top pick for the best mattress for stomach sleepers looking for value is Live and Sleep. This company offers three different mattresses – Classic, Elite, and Luxury – so you can choose the quality and price point that works for you. The Classic is the most affordable and offers a medium level of firmness ideal for stomach sleepers.
If you want a higher quality mattress for belly sleepers, the Luxury offers a medium balanced level of firmness and features a welcoming softness, flexibility, and excellent contouring.
- Three models and three price points to choose from, great value
- All three models offer at least a medium level of firmness for stomach sleepers
- Designed for comfort with breathable materials for a cool night’s sleep
- Shipping costs and sleep trial length varies between the different models
- Material quality varies from one design to another
Who will Appreciate This Mattress?
If you are looking for a good mattress that comes in at under the $500 mark, and you’re a stomach sleeper in search of a firm bed, then this might very well be the best mattress for you. Other types of sleepers mention that they appreciate its supportive nature too, although some side sleepers mention that it is too firm, and heavier people mention that it feels too soft. This mattress doesn’t have a long trial period like some others, so you don’t have 100 days to decide if you like it. On the other hand, it is backed by a good warranty, and most reviews are positive.
Lucid 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Made with 2.5 inches of gel-infused, ventilated memory foam that is designed to prevent heat retention, the Lucid 10-inch gel memory foam mattress offers a good level of support via its 7.5-inch base of high-density foam. The TENCEL blend fabric cover is designed to control moisture and help keep you cool and comfortable while you sleep. This mattress is backed by a 25-year warranty.
- Contours to the body, yet feels firm
- A few reports of mold developing after exposure to dampness/not being placed on a breathable surface
- A few reports of the mattress not fully expanding
Who will Appreciate This Mattress?
Small to average size stomach sleepers tend to find this mattress feels perfectly firm, while larger people (over 250 pounds) mention that they tend to sink in too far. At well below the $500 mark, the Lucid 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress is also a great choice for people who have a strict budget.
Purple Bed Queen Size Mattress
The Purple mattress is designed differently than many other “bed in a box” mattresses. Its Smart Comfort Grid ™ is designed to relive pressure, isolate motion, and prevent overheating. Beneath the grid, responsive support coils are sandwiched between two layers of supportive foam. Plexus side panels provide additional support.
- Relieves pressure points
- Sleeps much cooler than most memory foam mattresses
- A few reports of mattresses developing soft/depressed spots
- Some larger and curvy-shaped side sleepers felt pressure points
Who will Appreciate This Mattress?
A wide variety of people love sleeping on the Purple mattress. While the price is higher than many other brands, it is a good, supportive choice for side and back sleepers as well as stomach sleepers, and the trial period provides protection in case you or your sleeping partner is one of the few who dislike the way the mattress feels. This mattress also gets high marks for its cool feel, making it a good choice for people who tend to overheat while sleeping.
Sleep Innovations Taylor 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Designed to support average to bigger body sizes as well as those who toss and turn, the Sleep Innovations Taylor 12-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress offers a medium-firm feel. Its top layer is made with Cool Plush 2-inch cooling gel memory foam, while the middle layer is Breezy 2-inch air-channel foam. The base layer is made with Ultra-Support 8-inch foam. This mattress was created with different sleep positions – including stomach sleeping – in mind, as well as for those who prefer to feel cooler when sleeping. It is made in America and comes with a 20-year limited warranty.
- Good value
- Excellent support for those who like a firm mattress
- Pocket coils provide different levels of support for different body parts
- Can take a while to break in
- A few reports of the mattress developing impressions
Who will Appreciate This Mattress?
If you’re looking for a firm mattress under $500, or if you are a larger person, you are quite likely to appreciate the Sleep Innovations Taylor mattress. It gets good reviews from a variety of sleepers including those who prefer back or side positions over stomach sleeping, and many couples report that they rest well despite having different preferences.
Tuft & Needle Mattress, Queen
The Tuft & Needle mattress is made with an upper layer of T&N Adaptive ® foam, which contains cooling gel and graphite, and which offers a combination of softness and support. The mattress’s support layer is high-density poly-foam, and is seven inches thick. The cover is made with a combination of fast-drying micro polyamide and polyester. The Tuft & Needle mattress comes with a 100-day trial period and a 10-year warranty.
- Supports up to 500 pounds per side
- Good temperature regulation
- Cover is difficult to remove
- A few reviewers noticed a charcoal-like odor that took about a week to dissipate
Zinus Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
The Zinus Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress offers firm support. Made with 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam layered over 3 inches of comfort foam and 3.5 inches of air-flow high-density foam. The base layer is made with 3.5 inches of high density air-flow support foam, and the cover is crafted of comfortable knit jacquard. This mattress is infused with green tea extract and castor seed oil, which help repel bacteria that contribute to unpleasant odors.
- A good balance of support and “give”
- Unique antibacterial components help prevent odor from developing
- Some reviewers report that the dimensions aren’t quite exact
- A few reports of the mattress’s corners not fully expanding
Considerations When Choosing the Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
Stomach sleepers have unique special needs, and are tougher to please than most others, particularly when other issues such as discomfort from old injuries or chronic conditions come into play. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you make your selection:
- Is there a trial period? Are you able to spend some time sleeping on your new mattress once it arrives, and then make a decision about whether to keep it or not? Many of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers come with trial periods. If you aren’t comfortable with the one you’ve chosen, you can simply send it back.
- What about a warranty? Does the mattress of your choice come with a warranty? This might not seem important if you’re not spending much money; the more you spend, though, the more this consideration matters. Just like other products, mattresses can contain manufacturing defects, and you want to be protected in the event your choice is one of them.
- Is the cover removable? You want the best mattress for stomach sleepers, but that doesn’t mean other factors aren’t important. A removable, washable cover can help keep your bed fresh. Don’t worry too much if the mattress of your choice doesn’t have a cover like this; you can always use a mattress protector.
- Do I sleep with someone else? If you share your bed with another person, then it’s important to choose a mattress that suits both of you well. It’s a very good idea to go with a mattress that includes a trial period so that you can return it if it’s not a good match. After all, there is no such thing as the “best” mattress for all stomach sleepers – particularly when the needs of another individual must be met.
One final consideration for getting better rest as a stomach sleeper is this: Pillows matter, too, and they can make quite a difference. According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, a stomach sleeper is often more comfortable with flat pillows tucked under the pelvis for additional spine support. People who sleep on their stomachs need flat pillows for their heads, and depending on body type as well as other factors, may even do best without a head pillow. Whichever pillows you choose, be sure to keep your spine aligned.
Since stomach sleepers have such specialized needs, it is more important than ever to take plenty of time to decide which mattress is best. We wish you success in your quest to find the most comfortable bed for your needs!