Back pain is something that a majority of the population suffers with on a daily basis, regardless of age.
Quick Look at Our Top 5 Picks
We resort to exercises, stretching, posture adjustment, painkillers, and ergonomic chairs, but we often can forget to consider how sleeping affects our bodies.
Many think purchasing a new mattress is the answer, but this can be very expensive, it might be good to try out a new pillow first. It’s a fraction of the price and can provide you with the support and alignment your body needs!
It is important to become informed about how a pillow can enhance our spine’s alignment when purchasing a new one, and before giving up and resolving to have back pain for the rest of your life!
How Does a Pillow Help Relieve Back Pain?
A pillow is not just for your neck and head, while it is important to consider possible neck strain when choosing the right pillow, you must also think about the way neck alignment translates into alignment of your spine, chest, and lower back.
You don’t need to worry about altering your natural sleeping position in order to remedy your back pain, the right pillow can do the job for you!
- For Side Sleepers – If you sleep on your side, your spine is pulled downward at the lower back by the upper leg. Placing a support pillow under your side can raise your lower back into an aligned position with the rest of your spine. As well, a firm pillow placed between your knees work to realign your hips and lower back while you sleep.
- For Back Sleepers – When sleeping on your back, the lower back, or lumbar, is straightened out of the spine’s natural “S” shaped contour, which often results in discomfort and aggravated chronic pain. A pillow placed under the lower back can be used to restore the spine’s natural shape.
- For Stomach Sleepers – A stomach sleeping posture places the highest amount of stress on the spine, by forcing it into an exaggerated curve. A support pillow under the pelvis can reduce this curve back to the natural contour by raising the lower back up. Chiropractors also recommend that if you sleep on your stomach that you use either a flat pillow for your head or no pillow at all.
How to Choose the Best Pillow for You?
Many chiropractors are beginning to advise on the best pillows for support and improved circulation.
However, it is important to remember that personal preference and comfort is also paramount.
When choosing a pillow that will allow you to wake up feeling rejuvenated and ready to start your day, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
Type of Pillow
There are many different styles of pillow that are designed to help you achieve a pain-free sleep.
- Knee Pillows – knee pillows are firm, contoured pillows that alleviate lower back pain when inserted between or under the knees. This is the most popular solution among specialist doctors and chiropractors for treating lumbar pain.
- Lumbar Pillows – lumbar pillows are firm, contoured or slanted cushions that are placed under the lower back when sleeping on your back, or under the pelvis when sleeping on your stomach.
- Body Pillows – body pillows are large, soft pillows that are reminiscent of hugging a duvet. They often have a cut-out horseshoe shape that allows the pillow to be manipulated to effectively replace all other pillows in your life. They are popular among pregnant women who suffer from lumbar pain and sciatica, and can be used to remedy chronic back pain.
- Memory Foam Pillows – Memory foam pillows are very popular for their ability to provide necessary support wherever you need it, at your neck, upper or lower back. It is important to remember that some may be too hard to have a restful sleep, so it is best to try these out if there is a trial period for the pillow and see what firmness works best for you.
You shouldn’t have to completely change the way you feel most comfortable when sleeping in order to fight against back pain. So, make sure you consider a pillow that accommodates your sleeping position preference; side, back, or stomach…or all of the above!
Type of Back Pain
Pillows are designed to cater to different needs and alleviate particular ailments, as mentioned above, take into consideration which type and firmness of pillow you will need to best address your personal ailments.
There are pillows that are created to mimic the natural contour of your neck or back, but remember that these shapes might not work for everyone’s body. And make sure that while the pillow should be firm, it should not be so structured that it does not allow you to have a relaxed and comfortable posture.
there are a number of different styles of pillows that address back pain, as mentioned above, so be sure to choose the style that targets the areas where you need the most support.
Memory foam is a good choice of material for a supportive and long-lasting pillow, you won’t have to worry about the pillow flattening out over time and losing your support. You should also consider whether the materials used are CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance, and whether they are hypoallergenic.
One of the main concerns with comfort is the firmness of a pillow. While a firm pillow is good for providing necessary support, it is important not to sacrifice the ability to have a restful sleep.
As important as your physical health and rest is, so is the affordability of the product. You shouldn’t have to break the bank for a new pillow, especially because this is supposed to be the frugal alternative to a new mattress and years of physical therapy!
It is important to have an acceptable warranty period, so that you can make sure that the pillow is providing you with the necessary relief for an adequate amount of time, and that it is not losing its shape too soon. It is also good to consider a product that has a trial period, so you can find the pillow that is perfect for you!
Durability is important when choosing a pillow, the more durable the more likely it will remain effective and supportive and not cause unnecessary extra damage.
Where Should you Start your Search?
We realise that it is incredibly overwhelming to begin to look for the best-quality product, especially juggling all of these considerations mentioned above, along with your physical wellbeing on the line! The best way to begin your foray into finding the right pillow to end your back pain is to look at other people’s experiences. Here are five of the most highly commended, chiropractor recommended pillows to remedy back pain.
Will a New Pillow Solve all of Your Back Problems?
It is important to remember that these recommendations are not all-inclusive, if you suffer from chronic back pain you should also consider the mattress you are using, as well as seeking out professional advice about exercises and sitting posture to help ease discomfort.
While there are measures that can be taken during the day to alleviate back pain, like practicing good posture, exercising and stretching, a good night’s sleep can make all the difference.
That is, however, only if the sleep is not aggravating your condition, which is why finding the right pillow is so important.
We have offered you five of the best options among a variety of styles, that have made thousands of people able to enjoy a pain-free sleep, hopefully with these tips and suggestions you can too!