Like most all of us, you lay your head on a pillow each night when you go to sleep, and if that’s the case then you probably want that pillow to be comfortable and in good shape. Not only can you fluff your pillow, and do your best to keep it clean, you can also put a pillow protector over it to keep dust, messes, and dirt off of your pillow daily.
A pillow protector sounds a little funny to you maybe but perhaps a pillowcase or pillow cover sounds right up your alley. Pillow protectors can be anything from the very basic, plain, white covers with a zipper on your pillow, to pillow cases or the elegant and fancy pillow shams and cases you can cover either your bed or throw pillows with.
Some use a basic pillow cover over their pillow and then a more fancy case over the top as well for protection and for style reasons. If you are looking to keep your pillow clean and free of dust mites and particles then you may want to put your focus on a protector, cover or case that fully zips closed.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
- 1 Do I need a pillow protector for my pillows?
- 2 Special considerations for compiling this list
- 3 The Top 5 Pillow Protectors For You
- 4 Allersoft 100% cotton pillow protector
- 5 Home Fashion Designs 4-pack pillow protectors
- 6 SureGuard Mattress Protectors cotton terry covers
- 7 Hospitality Products 2-pack hypoallergenic protectors
- 8 Everlasting Comfort 2-pack waterproof comfort
- 9 Closing Thoughts
Do I need a pillow protector for my pillows?
This question really boils down to your own personal preferences for keeping your pillow, blankets, and bed room in order and clean. While some pillows are completely washable, most of the time it does damage to the pillow’s shape and form by putting the entire pillow directly into the washing machine.
It is completely natural for you to sweat in your sleep or else to transfer oils from your hair and face on to your pillows surface. While this may be a natural occurrence and does not mean anything is wrong with you, it does usually lead to a dirty, smelly pillow after a very short time.
Because your body emits these natural oils, dirt and other bodily functions, you probably are going to want to clean it and keep it fresh. This is where your pillow protector, case or cover will come in the most handy to do as it says in the name, and protect your pillow from wear and tear, dirt and damages.
The pillow protector is not a need to sleep on it or to even be very comfortable throughout the night, it is simply a very nice, added protection if you are wanting to keep the quality of your pillow in tact for a long period of time. If you are like most people, you will probably not want to purchase new pillows frequently, but to buy them once every few years and be happy that they last and are in good shape for all of the time that you have it in your house.
If you are wondering about pillow protectors for throw pillows or guest pillows then we would kindly suggest that you do invest in one or a pack of these. You can find smaller pillow protector sizes that will fit the different pillows you have and clean them easily while keeping your pillows structure in tact.
Special considerations for compiling this list
- Easy to clean: Number one on the list of considerations for compiling this list is going to be that the pillow protectors should be easy to remove and clean. They also should be relatively easy to spot clean and be cleaned by hand in the event that a washing machine is not available.
- Handles wear and tear: The pillow protectors for this particular list are designed to handle daily use, and removal as well as washing. You are going to use your pillow each night, possibly throughout the day and they should hold up to everyday wear and tear as well as cleaning.
- Durability: Going hand and hand with the ability to handle everyday wear and tear, these pillows should be durable for the long haul. While it is great if the protector stays clean and does not tear on a normal day it should be lasting you about as long as the pillow does.
- Sizing and quantity options: Something we thought you may value when choosing your pillow protector is that it should have options for different kinds of pillow sizes. Whether you need standard, smaller, or larger sizes for your home and if you need more than one for your house, then it will be good to be able to select multiple in one pack for a reasonable price.
- Affordability: Pillow protectors do not have to be and should not be extremely expensive because it is in fact a rather thin piece of fabric. Though it can be sturdy and valuable to you it does not need to cost you a leg and an arm.
- Hypoallergenic: Every single pillow on this list is hypoallergenic and made in factories that do not contain common allergens. They are also typically dust mite resistant to keep not only pathogens but unwanted irritants away from you while you are sleeping.
The Top 5 Pillow Protectors For You
Sleep is one of the most important parts of your day believe it or not, because it affects your daily routines and your overall health. The equipment and atmosphere that you set in your room or sleeping environment is extremely important and you should be careful choosing the items for your bed.
Once you have decided on the bed, and mattress for you then you probably moved on to seeking out the perfect pillow. The pillow then should be kept in top quality, not lumpy or misshapen, and a pillow protector may be the right decision for you.
Pillow protectors should be light, easy to wash, hypoallergenic and fit snugly around your pillow, while allowing room for a fancier pillow case. You can easily use a simple pillow protector long term or you can use a basic one in combination with a more fancy pillow case, cover or even a sham.