Engineered with your complete comfort and support in mind, memory foam mattresses. Visco-elastic memory foam was first developed by NASA, and was used to cushion seats in aircraft. Hospitals soon discovered the foam’s ability to keep bedridden patients comfortable, and it wasn’t long before memory foam mattresses made their way to everyday consumers.
Whether you suffer from an uncomfortable condition such as arthritis, or if you’re simply in search of the most comfortable mattress available, you’ll find that memory foam provides the support you need – and it’s quite likely that you’ll never go back to old-fashioned mattresses again.
Quick Look at Our Top Pick:
Factors to consider as you make your choice:
- Size – Memory foam mattresses come in come in every size, so it’s easy to pick the one that works best for your needs. As with other mattress types, the larger sizes tend to be more expensive than smaller sizes.
- Composition – What other elements are included in the mattress? Is there a special cooling layer? Does the cover come off for cleaning? How many inches of memory foam are included in the mattress?
- Weight – Memory foam is heavy, and this means that even the best memory foam mattress may be quite a bit heavier than a traditional innerspring mattress. Know that you might need some help when it comes time to move your new mattress into your bedroom.
- CertiPUR Certification – Memory foam mattresses made with out PBDE flame retardants, formaldehyde, phthalate, heavy metals, and ozone depleting materials are often CertiPUR Certified. Mattresses that carry this certification have low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions, contributing to better indoor air quality.
- Price – Memory foam mattresses used to be prohibitively priced but as with most other forms of technology, costs have dropped drastically. It’s not at all difficult to find a durable, comfortable memory foam mattress for under $1000. Some of the most popular memory foam mattresses may cost less than $500, depending on the size you need.
The Top 12 Best Rated Memory Foam Mattress ReviewedChoosing the best memory foam mattress based on other buyers’ experiences is one of the best ways to avoid problems and enjoy an exceptional experience and get the right amount of sleep each night. We’ve gone to great lengths to provide the best recommendations possible in hope of saving time and effort on your part. Here are ten of the most popular models for your consideration.
Nectar Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
The Nectar Sleep Memory Foam Mattress features two layers of CertiPUR-US® Certified gel memory foam that contour comfortably to the body while distributing weight evenly and promoting air circulation for better temperature regulation. The adaptive high core memory foam adds a touch of bounce, while the breathing base layer provides reliable stability. A Tencel cooling cover wicks away heat while providing bedbug resistance. Nectar memory foam mattresses come with a 180-night home trial and a “forever” warranty. Nectar’s mattresses are compatible with a variety of bed types including adjustable bases.
- Good for any sleep position
- Breathes better than many other memory foam mattresses
- Good level of firmness, not as soft as some other brands
- Some reports of mattress not expanding fully; common problem with many memory foam mattress brands
- Many mentions of new product odor as the mattress expands
DreamCloud Memory Foam Mattress
With 8 layers of premium materials including a plush, built-in pillow top in a cozy, tufted cashmere blend for softness and breathability, the DreamCloud memory foam mattress features a supportive five-zone pocket coil system that provides just a touch of bounce. This mattress offers multiple layers of CertiPUR-US certified high-density memory foam designed to ensure comfort for people who sleep in different positions. Gel memory foam helps to wick away heat. DreamCloud mattresses come with a 365-night sleep trial and a robust Everlong warranty against defects in workmanship and materials. Financing and white-glove delivery service are available on request.
- Luxury-grade materials and excellent workmanship
- Full year trial lets users try the mattress in different seasons to assure comfort year-round
- Good combination of softness and support
- Very heavy due to multiple layers of thick memory foam
- 15-inch depth was too high and/or bulky for some consumers
Best Price Mattress 12” Grand Memory Foam Mattress
The Best Price Mattress 12” Grand Memory Foam Mattress comes complete with a frame and foundation combination to replace an old frame and eliminate the need to purchase a separate platform. The mattress features three separate layers including 2.5 inches of memory foam, 3 inches of super soft pressure relief foam, and 6.5 inches of high density foam. It is CertiPUR Certified, and comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Complete set with a platform to replace old box springs/frame and is easy to set up
- Durable even with tossing and turning
- Frame is a little shorter than some others, easily remedied with inexpensive risers
Casper Sleep Queen Memory Foam Mattress
The Casper Sleep memory foam mattress features an open-cell top layer that uses a combination of conduction and convection to eliminate excess heat while providing maximum airflow. Designed to offer medium-firm support and eliminate any pressure points, it features a strong base layer for added durability. A 100-day test period ensure that the mattress is as desired, and a 10-year warranty assures longevity. This mattress takes up to 72 hours to fully expand.
- Cool and breathable
- Generous test period and robust warranty
- 4-layer foam construction
- Great conforming and motion isolation
- Price is higher than some other models
- Some reports of lingering odor
Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Made with several layers of memory foam to relieve pressure points, this Classic Brands king memory foam mattress features a high-density aerated cool gel top layer that provides a plush sleeping surface while offering ventilation. This mattress boasts a removable stretch-knit cover and is suitable for use with adjustable bases. It is CertiPUR-US certified for performance, emissions, and durability. A 25-year manufacturer’s warranty is included.
- Soft, cozy upper layer feels like a pillowtop mattress
- Removable cover
- Suitable for Back and side sleepers
- Many reports of damaged packaging
- Feels too soft at first; takes a few days to feel appropriately firm
DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Queen Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-inch queen memory foam mattress features a three-inch layer of gel memory foam for cooler sleeping, along with two inches of cool airflow foam and a high-density support foam lower layer, plus a washable cover that zips on and off. A 120-day trial period ensures satisfaction, and a 30-year manufacturer’s warranty is included.
- Good airflow
- Far cheaper than a name brand gel memory foam mattress
- Top is a little less plush than some other brands; some users add a gel memory foam mattress topper for a softer feel.
- Some reports of hollows developing after about a year of use
Lucid 10 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
This Lucid 10” memory foam mattress combines an upper layer of gel-infused, ventilated memory foam for good airflow, along with a high density foam base for a supportive, medium-firm feel. The breathable cover features TENCEL-blend fabric for comfortable softness. This memory foam mattress is CertiPUR Certified, and comes with a 25-year warranty.
- Very inexpensive
- Supportive but conforms to the body well
- Solid pressure relief
- Great costumer service
- Took some time to expand to the full 10 inches
- Edges are softer than an innerspring mattress; not good for edge sleepers
Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus 10-Inch Queen Memory Foam Mattress
The Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus queen memory foam mattress features double air flow comfort foam for a cooler night’s sleep, along with a supportive double air flow base made with heavy duty support foam. Designed to provide ample back support while offering just enough softness to allow the hips and shoulders to settle comfortably, it accommodates people between 40 and 400 pounds. The knit cover is removable for easy cleaning, and the mattress is CertiPUR Certified. A 30-day trial period allows users to test the mattress, which is backed by a 10-year warranty.
- Provides a soft, cloudlike feel while offering good back support
- No need to purchase deep pocket sheets; standard ones fit well
- A few reports that the mattress did not conform to sleepers’ hips and legs
- 10-inch thickness was not be supportive enough for some buyers
Perfect Cloud UltraPlush Gel-Max Memory Foam Mattress
The Perfect Cloud king-size Ultraplush Gel-Max memory foam mattress features a two-inch layer of cooling gel-infused memory foam topped with a layer of air-infused memory foam. These two upper layers are supported by a heavy-duty memory foam base. The removable, washable cover features a zipper for a secure fit, and the 10-inch thickness accommodates standard pocket sheets. This memory foam mattress is CertiPUR Certified, and comes with a 30-day test period as well as a 10-year warranty.
- Lighter weight than many other king memory foam mattresses
- Less odor than many other memory foam mattresses
- Some reviewers felt the mattress was too firm, especially for very lightweight people; adding a memory foam mattress topper fixed the issue for some.
- May take a while to regain shape when compressed; a few reports of depressions forming over time
Signature Sleep Memoir 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
This Signature Sleep memory foam mattress features a 3.5-inch memory foam upper layer on top of an 8.5” layer of high-density foam. It is CertiPUR Certified, and is made with eco-friendly components. This memory foam mattress offers firm support. It takes approximately 72 hours to fully expand, and for odor to dissipate.
- Good quality for the price
- Stays fairly cool even though there is no gel layer
- Cover is not removable; really need to use a mattress cover to keep it clean
- A few reports of the mattress never inflating and needing to be returned
Tuft & Needle Adaptive Foam Mattress
Made with high-grade, supportive foam with cooling properties and outstanding pressure relief, the Tuft & Needle mattress provides localized “bounce” that keeps movement from disturbing a sleeping partner. This is one of very few mattresses made in America. It comes with a 100-day trial period and a 10-year warranty, and it is CertiPUR Certified. The manufacturer recommends waiting 72 hours for full expansion and odor dissipation.
- Does not trap heat
- Medium density provides a combination of softness and support
- Reports of difficulty with return process if needed
- Must allow the full 72 hours expansion before sleeping on the bed or depressions may form, even if the mattress looks like it has fully expanded
Zinus 12-Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
Designed to offer cool comfort, the Zinus 12-inch gel-infused mattress is infused with green tea extract and castor natural seed oil for natural resistance to odor and bacteria. It features an air-flow high density base topped with three distinct layers of memory foam. This gel memory foam mattress is hypoallergenic, and is CertiPUR US certified for content, durability, and performance, and takes an average of 48 to 72 hours to decompress before use.
- Low price
- Very little odor
- May not last as long as a more expensive mattress
- Some reports that mattress fails to expand fully
Considerations when Buying a Memory Foam Mattress
Once, not too long ago, there were only a few memory foam mattress brands to choose from. Today, the options can seem overwhelming. While we’ve gone to great lengths to provide you with several excellent memory foam mattresses from which to choose, there are some important factors to keep in mind as you make your selection.
- Firmness – If you normally require a firm mattress, you’ll find that most memory foam offers excellent support while still moving with you and providing the restful floating feel that makes these mattresses so popular. Medium density memory foam feels good to most people; those who like soft mattresses often like it just as much as those who need lots of back support.
- Durability – Be cautious of low-density memory foam; while it may feel comfortable early in its life, it is likely to break down a bit faster than medium- or high-density memory foam. The good news is that the average lifespan of a memory foam mattress is more than five years, even when you go for a low-density model.
- Heat Retention – If you tend to feel hot when sleeping, then you may wonder how well you’ll do with a memory foam mattress. The good news is that many manufacturers now offer models with cooling technology built-in, preventing the excess heat buildup that can be a problem for those who tend to feel overheated when sleeping. You may want to consider gel-infused memory foam mattresses if you sleep hot, as they tend to be coolest.
- Type of Foam – Is the mattress you’re considering plant-based or synthetic foam? Plant-based foam tends to be best for people who are sensitive. While they may cost a bit more than synthetic types, plant-based memory foam mattresses tend to emit fewer odors and provide a cooler feel than their petroleum-based counterparts.
- Your Size – The lighter you are, the lower density the memory foam you need to feel comfortable, particularly if you prefer a mattress with a softer feel. Medium density memory foam feels comfortable to lighter-weight people as well as those who are heavier, making a good compromise for couples who have significant weight differences. A mattress topper can add more cushioning if your mattress feels too firm.
- Trial Period / Warranty – A mattress is usually a significant investment, so double check to ensure that you’re satisfied with the available trial period and/or warranty before you commit to making a purchase, no matter where you buy!
It’s worth remembering that the best memory foam mattress for your needs won’t necessarily be the same as the one that satisfied another person, nor will it always be the most expensive one on the market. By keeping different factors in mind as you shop, you’ll find it easier to make a choice and enjoy deep, comfortable sleep night after night.