Finding a mattress can be stressful, but even more stressful when you’re not just shopping for yourself. A mattress is a very large investment for a couple, that greatly affects your health as a couple!
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
Make sure you understand how your partner sleeps, their preferences in a mattress, and what you’re willing to compromise on.
Let’s take a look at the important features you and your partner should talk about when mattress shopping.
The Couple’s Mattress Shopping List
- Does your partner sleep hot? Does sleeping next to your partner cause you to wake up sweating at night?
- Why kind of firmness does your partner prefer? Do they want the bed to conform to their body, or firmly support pressure points?
- How big is your partner? Is a king mattress needed to fit both of you comfortably?
- Does your partner move a lot at night, and does this wake you up?
After discussing these features in a mattress, you will have a better idea about what you and your partner need in a mattress to sleep comfortably, and fully at night. We compiled a list of the 5 best mattresses for couples, that may have exactly what you’re looking for!
Product reviews: Top 5 Best Mattresses for Couples
Muse Cal King Mattress
View On Amazon
This 12-inch luxurious mattress is built to stay cool. It has a top layer of gel-infused memory foam that’s cold to the touch.
Unlike other memory foam mattresses, the Muse Cal King Mattress will not overheat leaving you and your partner the comfort to cuddle.
This mattress is also available in soft, medium, or firm comfort levels, so you can customize the perfect mattress for you and your loved one!
The first layer of the Muse Cal King Mattress has a cooling cover and then a gel-infused layer of memory foam.
Underneath is the responsive comfort foam that is customized to your desirable firmness. Lastly, is the support foundation, which insures your body is getting the full support it needs throughout the night.
- Dissipates body heat
- Flexibility to choose firmness
- Great motion isolation for couples
- May have slight odor at first
Signature Sleep Contour 8
View On Amazon
This 8-inch mattress is made of memory foam and coils. At the top and bottom of the Signature Sleep Contour 8, it has 1.6 inches of high density foam to give the feeling of conforming to your body, while providing equal weight distribution to relieve pressure from the body.
The independently encased coils add extra support and work with the foam to create the ultimate comfortable sleep for any couple.
- No adjustment time
- Coils give it a bounce
- May need to rotate frequently to prevent sagging
- Odor at first
Zinus Hybrid Mattress
View On Amazon
This 12-inch gel-infused memory foam mattress is a hybrid mattress. This mattress contains Swirl Gel memory foam, which is made to regulate temperature at night. The next layer is composed of ViscoLatex to add foam comfort found in memory foam.
Unlike the other mattress, this one contains iCoil springs to relieve pressure, while giving the necessary support under the body. However, it also reduces motion transfer so couples are not awaken up by their partner moving at night.
- Alleviates back pain
- Great price
- Cannot feel partner moving at night
Tuft & Needle King Mattress
View On Amazon
This 10-inch mattress is made of adaptive foam to conform to your body and your sleeping habits, as well as your partners. Made of high-grade foam, the Tuft & Needle mattress keeps the bouncy feel while also staying supportive, and not giving you the feeling of “sinking in”.
Furthermore, it has a localized bounce feature that ensures you won’t wake up when your partner moves positions in the middle of the night. This king mattress is engineered to be cool in temperature by containing gel and graphite.
- Soothes pain while sleeping
- No noise while moving
- Odor when first opened
- Lacks edge support
- May not be for side sleepers
Signature Sleep Memoir Mattress
View On Amazon
This 12-inch memory foam mattress is made to conform to you and your partner’s body. The top layer is comprised of 3.5 inches of comfort memory foam to give a feeling of cloud-like bliss while you sleep.
The next layer is made of 8.5 inches of high density foam to support the body weight evenly, while also relieving pressure from areas like the shoulders, hips, and feet.
This layer is also designed to reduce motion disturbance to create an individualized sleeping experience, even with your partner sleeping next to you.
- Alleviates pressure on back
- Shapes to body
- Nice mixture of support & softness
- May have odor at first
- May take a while to fully inflate
What Couples Should Consider When Purchasing a Mattress
When buying a mattress with your partner, opposed to just yourself, there are many aspects you should consider.
Keep in mind, your mattress is going to take on double the wear it normally would.
Most mattresses now are “box mattresses”, meaning if you buy them online you are going to receive a box with your deflated mattress, and it will inflate upon opening.
To prolong the life of your mattress, and maintain restful nights, you may want to consider the list below.
- Buying a waterproof mattress protector. A lot of box mattresses are memory foam, which are also great for couples because the foam helps eliminate motion transfer. However, foam is prone to collecting mold due to sweat or any other moisture that may become trapped in the bottom of your mattress. Think about investing in a waterproof mattress protector to keep out moisture.
- Rotate your mattress every couple of months. A lot of times memory foam mattresses receive complaints that an impression starts to form from their body while sleeping. Considering one partner will be heavier than the other, it’s important to turn your mattress every few months, so weight is evenly being distributed across the mattress.
- Consider temperature. A lot of couples get hot while sleeping, due to the closeness of your bodies while sleeping. Take into consideration the temperature at which your partner sleeps at, and if your mattress does not having a cooling feature, you may want to invest in a cooling mattress topper.
All in all, buying a mattress as a couple takes time! While you may need to compromise on certain aspects of your mattress, make sure you aren’t compromising your sleep. Sleep is an important part of your relationship health, and no one wants to deal with a cranky partner.