This may seem like an obvious question and a certain no brainer if you are a long time sufferers of shoulder pain, or really any kind of joint pain or body aches, but for some of us, it may be a mystery. There are many causes of aches and pains to our bodies from how we lay on it, to major sports injuries to everyday activities that seem innocent enough.
If your shoulder pain is caused by an obvious reason like a fall, a sprain, muscle tearing or any other major injury we strongly suggest you have a doctor look at it and advise you on what is best for you. He or she may decide that a special pillow and avoiding laying on that side will be very good for you for some time but it is important for you to get an expert opinion first.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
Once you have been advised you are welcome to search this page further and get your feel for the pillow you need. Though the list has been narrowed down to five of our top choices you will still have your pick of what is the best for you.
If your shoulder pain is not a sports injury or related to physical activity whether new or old, then you may be trying to figure out where it came from. Of course, it may be from stress and strain on the joints at work or in your daily routine, but it’s likely the problem is deeper.
You may be experiencing shoulder pain simply from how you sleep each night and how your rest the weight of your body when you sleep. You may feel like you’re in a comfortable position when you lay down each night but you have to remember you’re shifting most of your weight onto only a few places and that can cause a lot of soreness.
But what are you supposed to do if sleeping on your side is the most comfortable way for you to sleep and they only way you can get to sleep? You don’t have to abandon your favorite sleeping position and relearn and adjust to a new sleeping style, you can try packing pillows around you or you can try out a pillow made specifically to help you deal with shoulder pain.
How Can A Pillow Affect Your Shoulder Pain?
Pillows designed specifically to combat shoulder pain are handy for many reasons but the main one may be that you can get the support and pressure relief in one pillow rather than packing three or more around you. I mean if you’re a fort builder and enjoy finding the perfect angle to set the pillows and how to fluff them up in order to get adequate support then be our guest and keep with that method.
Obviously, a pillow is not the solution everyone would choose for this but it is one that can usually be a simple, cheap and relatively easy fix. Before going for pain killers or tossing and turning through a miserable night’s sleep you may find it worth the pocket money to invest in a pillow that was created with your needs in mind.
The pillows for shoulder pain are a bit firmer to take the impact of your body and keep you supported throughout the night. This will keep you from carrying the heavy weight but instead shifting it off of you.
The pillows are designed to allow you to comfortably sleep on your side and still be elevated and supported. You do not have to worry about learning a new sleeping position you just find that yours becomes more comfortable.
While you are dealing with a shoulder injury or soreness you are probably going to sleep on the other side for awhile. To protect and prevent you from creating a second problem the pillow will keep you supported.
Special Considerations For Creating This List
- Firm: We chose pillows that have a level of firmness to keep you supported throughout the night without worries. They are not all selected to be overly firm but enough that keeps you from shouldering the weight throughout the night, pun intended.
- Durable: This pillow is not just an investment in your sleep which affects your overall health and well-being, but it invests in your immediate healing. While shoulder healing can be a process it starts to heal with rest and rest means actually getting the pressure off and being serious about taking it easy.
- Because of this, we find that the pillows need to be durable and keep form and shape regardless of how long you use them. They should hold up nightly and through the weeks and months as well.
- Machine washable: Pillows get dirty rather easily whether we like to admit that or not, we as humans sweat through the night and make messes. As we just mentioned the pillows are investments they should be an investment that is easy to clean without damaging the form or quality.
- Great for side sleepers: The pillows are designed to be good for people who sleep on their sides. Many times when you have issues with your shoulder you are advised not to sleep on your injured side and to rotate to the other side, which means you need a pillow that supports you on your side.
- Comes with a warranty: While we highly recommend the pillows we’ve selected we understand that many people don’t know until they try them out. These pillows come with warranties to return them and either get your money back or have a new pillow sent to you without a hassle.
Top 5 Pillows For Shoulder Pain
There are many reasons why you may have shoulder pain and there are precautions your doctor can speak with you about in order to alleviate the pain. If you have decided on getting a pillow that better supports you and keeps your shoulder free from tension, strain and stress then we advise the ones on this list.
Make sure that the pillows are durable, easy to clean and actually remove stress from your body while you sleep. A pillow specifically for shoulder pain may be the cheapest, most simple way to help you relieve the pain and begin the healing process through rest.