- 1 Do I Need A Special Pillow For Reading?
- 2 How are reading pillows different than any old standard pillow?
- 3 Special considerations for creating this list
- 4 Top 5 Reading Pillows
- 5 LINENSPA Shredded Memory Foam Reading Pillow with Armrests
- 6 Brentwood Home Therapeutic Foam Wedge Pillow
- 7 Brentwood Original Shagalicious Reading Pillow with Armrests
- 8 Husband Pillow Large Reading Pillow
- 9 Milliard Reading Pillow with Shredded Memory Foam
- 10 Final Thoughts
Do I Need A Special Pillow For Reading?
We talk about pillows when we need something to sleep on, sleep with or decorate your home or living space with, but they are not just standard pieces that we throw in to our houses. Pillows are equipment, they are tools for us to complete something important in our life.
You are probably laughing at the thought of a pillow being called a tool, or a piece of equipment, but isn’t our sleep and wellbeing important? Don’t we call getting a good night’s sleep and having good time management skills “tools” for success? We do.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks
When you are talking about a pillow that you are using to rest your head, neck, legs or feet on, then it should be a pillow designed specifically for the purpose that you require. This is true when you have accident or medical issue and when you want a neck pillow for the plane, you buy pillows specific for your needs.
While you can read with or without a pillow or while you can use a standard pillow to prop you up, having a pillow designed to make your reading experience more comfortable, may be what you actually need. These pillows are designed not only to keep you in a seated position that is comfortable on your back and your neck.
Most all reading pillows are designed with a plush, comfortable material and have arm rests attached to it so you can hold a book in your hand easily. The pillow is manufactured to be the ultimate lounge pillow that is good not only for reading but for laying in bed performing other activities.
Reading pillows can be positioned on your bed, the floor, on a chair or sofa and is easy to take with you anywhere that you will want to spend time lounging and reading. The pillow can be used when you are laying in bed watching TV, or if you are a work-from-home kind of person who needs to get a lot done.
How are reading pillows different than any old standard pillow?
As mentioned, the reading pillows are designed with arms and are supportive to allow you to stay in a seated position while comfortably working on anything. The pillows are usually slightly heavier and even more supportive than simply piling pillows up behind your back or leaning against one.
The pillows designed for reading are often what people select to use when they have had a medical injury or else a condition that makes laying or sitting difficult. These pillows are made from a variety of material and while they are not designed like standard pillow, you can lay on them and sleep on them if you find it comfortable for you.
Special considerations for creating this list
- Sturdy and supportive: A quality that you have probably already thought of and ranked high on your list is that they pillow should be both sturdy and supportive. The pillows should hold up with daily use, for months and years even, and should not just be comfortable for you but supporting your back and body.
- Comfortable: The pillow should be comfortable from the material that is used on the cover of the pillow to the filling in the inside of the pillow. We have looked at and tested the pillows to make sure the outer material is plush, cozy and soft and the inside is both soft and supportive at the same time.
- Breathable: Reading pillows are made of hard, sturdy materials but that does not mean that they do not have to be breathable. The covers of these pillows regardless of how plush and comfy, should be breathable and allow for airflow as well the inner stuffing should allow for airflow.
- Multipurpose pillow: Reading pillows are great and specifically designed for the purpose of reading as is in the name “reading pillow”. They are, however, good for more than just reading, and if the pillow is not useful for more than just reading then it is not worth spending your money on.
- Easy to clean: These pillows have a very awkward shape, because they are created with a sturdy back and arms attached to the pillow, which makes it hard to clean. These pillows should have a simple to remove cover that can be machine washed or else rubbed clean.
Top 5 Reading Pillows
If you are looking for pillow to give you back support and help you to sit comfortably while reading or working then you may have landed on the decision to purchase a reading pillow. This choice is completely yours, and while you may decided to make do with plumping and piling your pillows up and using them this way, you may want a single pillow that is designed to keep you in the position you more comfortable and relaxed.
Make sure that you are checking the contents of the pillow and the material that covers them that the pillow is wholly made out of products you know and trust. Read the labels and instructions carefully to make sure you know how to properly wash the pillow and keep it clean and looking sharp.
Though these pillows are often favorite choices of those who have suffered injuries or have medical issues, we are not recommending them to you to solve your medical problems. This post is not written by a doctor and while the pillows here are our absolute favorites for this category, they are not on here as a medical answer to your problems.