Buying a new cooling mattress is always an adventure, and you hope after all your research and reading that you pick the right one. In a store, you have to take the word of the person who is selling them to you. Fortunately, it’s much easier now to find—and buy—the right mattress.
Quick Look at Our Top 5 Picks
| || |
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
| || |
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
| || |
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
| || |
Best Memory Foam Cooling Mattress
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
| || |
BEST ON AMAZON
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
If you’re someone who’s a “hot sleeper,” you already know what you need: a cooling mattress that help disperse extra body heat are readily available at the touch of a button. Here, we’ll tell you about ten of the mattresses that can help you stay cool and get a good night’s sleep.
Editor’s Choice for Best Cooling Mattress
- Good combination of comfort and support
- Suitable for all sleeping positions
- Good cooling
- Motion isolation properties
- Lifetime warranty
Why Do We Overheat?
When you’re going to sleep, your normal 98.6 body temperature decreases as you drop off during the first two stages. When you reach the second two stages, your body temperature drops further and you lose even more heat. The restorative properties of this deeper sleep require the lower temperature, so if you’re sleeping “hot,” you’re not getting the full benefit of sleep. You may already realize the problems of not enough sleep—fatigue, increased susceptibility to illness, heart problems (stroke, etc.), brain fog, weight gain, diabetes, and more. So if you’re waking up frequently because you’re warming up, it’s time to find a way to cool down, fast.
It’s also recommended that you set your thermostat between 65 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit for the most comfortable sleeping, but what’s comfortable for one person may not be for another. Finding a cooling memory foam mattress may be the best solution, especially if you sleep with a spouse or partner.
If you have a memory foam mattress, you may already know how this works. Memory foam traps body heat inside, keeping you warm, or causing you to overheat and wake up. If you sleep with someone else who sleeps just fine warm, or you sleep under a heavy duvet (especially one with polyester fiberfill and traps heat.)
Both women and men can suffer from what’s commonly called “hot flashes.” This sudden rise and drop in body temperature is associated with menopause in women and some types of medications like short-term antibiotics. Suddenly, you’re burning up, and need to cool down quick. You awaken, fan the covers (or turn on a fan) cool down, and try to go back to sleep. If this overheating happens repeatedly during the night, you’ll continually wake and go back to sleep, but you’ll never get enough sleep. You’ll end up tired and listless, since you never get to the restorative part of sleep.
Also Read: Best Cooling Pillow For Hot Sleepers
Also Read: Best Cooling Pillows
Also Read: Best Cooling Mattress Pads
The solution: find the best cooling mattress to disperse that trapped heat and let you sleep without waking up from overheating.
What To Look For in a Cooling Mattress
As we mentioned earlier, memory foam is notorious for trapping and holding heat, and making you hotter during the night. During the chill of winter, it’s a great way to stay warm. But when the temperature rises during spring and summer—or you live in the southern US—heat retention is the last thing you want. What do you need to find the best cooling mattress for sleeping better?
- Look for a mattress that use heat dispersion and temperature regulation, especially the kind that puts the cooling technology close to the sleeper.
- Innerspring mattresses are still very popular, but there are two types. Mattresses with wrapped coils inside cooling foam are excellent for heat disbursement.
- Latex mattresses are also breathable and offer cooler sleeping, particularly natural Talaylay latex. This material has aeration (holes) throughout the mattress to allow heat dispersion. The latex material is whipped and poured onto a mold with pins that form aeration holes, allowing for heat dispersion and cooling. Talaylay latex is also is naturally antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, and resistant to dust mites.
- Gel foam cooling mattresses have gel “beads” embedded into the foam to absorb heat and take it away from you. However, they do have a set point, and can only absorb so much heat before the bed starts to heat up. The more gel infusions, the better the heat absorption. Some memory foam models also have infused gel for cooler sleeping.
- Copper and graphite incorporated into any type of mattress (or mattress pad) can also absorb heat well and divert the heat away from you. Both are conductors that draw heat away from the sleeper and keep you cooler at night, and also help with natural antimicrobial properties.
Bedding manufacturers have also begun combining these materials to increase the cooling capabilities of their mattresses. However, it may become more confusing as you search for the right and best cooling mattress. Our list of some of the best mattresses can make it easier for you to find the right one for your needs.
Best Mattresses For Cool Sleeping Reviewed
Thanks to a layer of cooling gel memory foam topped with a breathable cashmere cover with additional cooling memory foam quilted in, DreamCloud Sleep mattresses are among the best at providing a cool, comfortable sleep experience.
There’s more to this mattress’s cooling story though: It’s a hybrid, with BestRest built-in pocket coils that keep air flowing through the entire mattress all night long while providing exceptional support for your entire body.
Most reviewers agree, although some do find that this is a touch too firm. It’s worth noting that hybrid mattresses don’t provide the same “hug” feeling that memory foam mattresses do, but they’re quite a bit cooler overall.
This mattress isn’t just breathable: It comes with a 365-night sleep trial and a forever warranty. It is available in all sizes, and white glove delivery and setup are available.
- Cashmere cover is made to be 3 times cooler than other materials
- 5-zone pressure relief system provides a medium-firm feel that most people like
- Cooling gel built in
- Hybrid design assures good airflow throughout the mattress
- Lower level of edge support than some other mattresses
The Nectar Mattress features a Tencel cooling cover that outperforms cotton and wicks away moisture, along with two layers of cooling gel memory foam that help keep air circulating while providing even weight distribution and a pleasant contouring feel.
A premium recovery foam foundation layer and a soft layer of memory foam keep the body supported and cradled throughout the night, making this one of the most comfortable as well as one of the best cooling mattresses on the market.
Additionally, nectar is one of a handful of mattress manufacturers to offer a Forever™ warranty, meaning that the materials, quality, and construction of the mattress are guaranteed for as long as you own it.
Nectar mattresses come in all sizes, and optional white glove delivery is available for those who need help with setup.
- Tencel cooling cover prevents sweat buildup
- Good airflow throughout the mattress
- Feels similar to a traditional memory foam mattress for those who prefer this
- Excellent trial period, lets buyers test during hot weather even if purchase is made in winter
- Heavier than a hybrid mattress
- A bit firmer than most memory foam mattresses, too firm for some people
Best Memory Foam Cooling Mattress – The Muse Mattress
The Muse mattress features an all-memory-foam construction covered with the Muse Diamond Breeze phase-changing material that absorbs ambient temperature, making the fabric feel incredibly cool.
Unlike many memory foam mattresses that tend to sleep hot, the Muse mattress features a gel-infused top layer to dissipate heat and improve airflow. The mattress also offers excellent edge support and motion isolation properties, making it a great choice for all sleeping positions and for people who sleep with a partner.
In addition to being loaded with cooling features, the Muse mattress has a removable, washable cover for your convenience. It also comes with a generous 120-night trial period with free returns.
- All-memory-foam construction available in three different firmness levels
- Muse Diamond Breeze cover and gel-infused foam promotes coolness
- Excellent edge support and motion isolation properties
- Only one thickness option to choose from, despite different firmness levels
- Can be heavy and difficult to move compared to other memory foam mattresses
Best Latex Cooling Mattress – Zenhaven Mattress
The Zenhaven mattress is unique in several ways. Not only does it have a dual-sided design, but it is made from an innovative material – Talalay latex – which has a more consistent cell structure than memory foam, giving it a softer, more pillow-like feel.
The Zenhaven mattress is designed with a 5-zone comfort layer that gives you firm support where you need it for proper spinal alignment but still contours to your body for optimal comfort. The cover is made from organic wool, which adds breathability and moisture-wicking properties for a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Zenhaven mattress allows you to customize your comfort level. Choose from a Luxury Plush level of firmness (4 to 5 out of 10) or a Gentle Firm (7 to 8 out of 10) level. Both sides offer the ideal combination of cooling comfort and cushioning support.
- Dual-sided design allows you to choose your firmness level
- Innovative Talalay latex offer cushioning comfort and coolness
- Generous sleep trial and warranty with free white glove delivery
- Edge support could be stronger
- Latex materials can be heavy, may be tricky to move
Best Cooling Mattress for All Sleeping Styles – New Purple Mattress
The New Purple mattress is uniquely designed to distribute body temperature and boost airflow to promote a cooler sleeping experience. This mattress features the Purple Smart Comfort Grid, which dynamically adapts to your body to reduce pressure points while supporting proper spinal alignment.
This feature, combined with the temperature-neutral design, ensures a cool and comfortable night’s sleep for all sleeping styles. Plus, it offers strong motion isolation properties if you sleep with a partner.
Another feature that sets Purple apart from the competition is the ability to customize your mattress. Choose from a 2-inch, 3-inch, or 4-inch Smart Comfort Grid to ensure the best possible sleep for your individual sleeping style.
- Purple Smart Comfort Grid is temperature-neutral for a cooler sleep
- Conforms to and supports the body in any position
- Choose from multiple thickness options to customize your mattress
- New Purple model is somewhat pricy compared to the Original and to other models
- Somewhat heavy and tricky to move
Best Cooling Mattress for Value – Saatva Mattress
One of the best memory foam cooling mattresses available, with two parts. The unique “open-cell” design in the Casper combines convection and conduction to move heat away from you. Then the memory foam layer uses airflow to remove heat for a cooler night’s sleep. In addition to being a great cooling mattress, another feature of this one is spinal alignment.
It’s made with CertiPUR certified and approved foams without ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
They are Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million). Additionally, all of the adhesives are water-based instead of solvent-based.
- Eco-friendly materials such as recycled steel, bio-based foams, and organic cotton
- Comes in several levels of firmness, including one specifically for heavy sleepers
- Free white glove delivery service and a 120-night sleep trial
- May have a shorter lifespan than non-innerspring mattresses
- Can be somewhat heavy and difficult to move, depending on the size
Sleep Innovations Taylor 12-inch Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress
This hybrid mattress combines innersprings, memory foam and gel to create a 100% CentiPure cooling mattress that rivals the ones in fine hotels. The ultra-soft Tencel cover and Micro Air-Spring core maximizes airflow and breathability, helping you sleep cooler. The Sleep Innovations Taylor 12-inch Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress is handmade in the US, to order, and not before. CertiPUR-certified means there are no nasty chemicals, lead or heavy metals to interfere with your sleep.
Sleep Innovations Taylor 12-inch Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress newest option, called coolControl, allows you to change the temperature on each side of your bed. Adapted from the same technology used to change temperatures in car seats, you can use either the iOS app or a remote control to raise the temperature 30 degrees or lower it 10 degrees. It’s quiet and energy efficient.
- Perfect for couples who need different temperatures
- Optimized for heavier sleepers
- 100% Free Shipping And Returns
- 101 night guarantee
- Excellent customer service
- May be too firm for some sleepers
Cloud 9 Closed Cell Foam Mattress
You can choose the thickness you prefer—6 inches, 8 inches or 11 inches. Tecnel provides cooling unlike other mattresses. Instead of open-cells that can cause “sinking” to the support layers, Cloud9’s Closed Cell Foam’s adaptive layers has zero pressure points for pain-free sleeping. It offers a true “sleeping on a cloud” experience. The company also offers firmer latex mattresses. All are recommended for use with a bed frame or platform base that can adequately support the mattress and sleeper(s).
Clousd9 offers a 100-night sleep trial with a 10-year limited warranty, and the mattresses ship free to your door. They’re all are made in the facility in the Los Angeles area (Costa Mesa, CA.) Cloud9 offers a number of different price points for every budget.
- Best cool firm mattress for lighter-weight sleepers
- Made with organic-based Tecnel fabric for cooler sleeping
- 11” mattress works for all body weights, while 8” works up to 265 lbs., and 6” is best up to 185 lbs.
- May not be suitable for heavier sleepers
Ultimate Dreams Supreme Gel Memory Foam Mattress
This budget-priced model from DreamFoam is an Amazon’s Choice for a top-quality cooling mattress. It’s suitable for back, side or stomach sleepers, and is a medium firmness. Boasting an 8” poly foam support core, a +1.5″ gel layer (4 lbs) and a 2.5″ memory foam (4 lbs) comfort layer wrapped in a 4-way stretch cotton knit cover, it’s one of the coolest mattresses for the price (starting at $449 for a queen.) It also supports proper spinal alignment.
Like DreamFoam’s Eurotop Latex, it’s Certi-Pur US certified foam has low VOC emissions and is also OEKO-TEX Certified, and no “chemical smell” or off-gassing.
- Gel technology sleeps 33% cooler
- Suitable for side, stomach or back sleepers
- Made in the US
- Relief from pressure points
- Motion suppression
- Sides collapse if you sit on them
- Develops divots and “caves in” where you sleep after a few years
- May not be standard size
- Some users report that it softens too much after six months or more
Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress
A second Amazon’s Choice cooling mattress, also in the budget-priced range. With nearly 3,000 Amazon reviews and 67% of them 5-stars, the Brentwood Home Cypress is the best mattress to keep you cool on a budget. It’s made from CertiPUR-US Certified Gel Memory Foam is free of toxic chemicals including harmful fire retardants, phthalates, and heavy metals. Wool from New Zealand also makes the liner cooler by taking moisture away from you.
Boasting a 25-year limited warranty, this California-made mattress has Bamboo Gel 13 embedded for more joint comfort and a cooler sleep.
- Perfect for anyone who needs extra joint support
- Antimicrobial wool liner is also fire-retardant, eliminating the need for chemicals
- Nontoxic, ethically sourced materials
- Low VOC emissions leaves no smell or off-gassing
- Made to order, when you order it
- Works with any box spring, frame, or other foundation that has adequate airflow underneath
- Wool cover is not machine washable
- “Sinking” reported by some users after less than a year of use
- No edge support
- May be better for heavier sleepers
- May not be as cool as described
- May be too firm for side sleepers
Take Your Time And Find The Right Cooling Mattress
It’s a little risky, and may be a little unnerving, to buy a cooling mattress online without having the chance to hop on it and try it out in a mattress store.
Unless you’re sleeping on the floor, or need a mattress right now, it’s best to take your time and review a number of cooling mattresses before committing to one.
But by at least researching online, you’re able to make a decision on your own without a salesperson guiding you to a particular mattress which may not suit your needs.
If you already know what you want, it’s easier to find it by researching and taking notes. You may not find what you want online, but you’ll know what’s available, making your purchase that much easier.
Note that whenever you buy a new cooling mattress, especially a “bed-in-a-box,” you’ll need to give your body time to get used to it.
While some mattresses are great right out of the box, you may need to give others a few weeks or even a few months before you feel completely comfortable on it. Mattresses that are shipped in a box are tightly compressed for shipping, so some may take a little longer to fully decompress and expand before they feel like they’re supposed to.
There’s no need to continue not getting enough rest, and overheating while you’re trying to sleep.
Whether you’re a regular “hot sleeper,” a menopausal woman having hot flashes, or taking a medication that makes you sweat at night, it may take some time and effort to find the best cooling mattress to keep you cool.
Be patient when looking for the best mattress for hot sleepers. While these are some of the top cooling mattresses available, it’s up to you to decide which one will be the best mattress for helping you sleep better.